Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt size question

Quilt size question

How big would you make a quilt for a twin sized bunk bed, if you wanted a pillow tuck?

DH is building bunk beds for our granddaughters. I'm making quilts. About 4" of the mattress will be hidden by the side rails of the beds. The mattresses haven't been purchased yet, so I don't know how deep they will be. My daughter wants a pillow tuck.

I'm using the Yellow Brick Road pattern, so 9" blocks. I'd also like to make the quilt without a border, so I can't fudge with the border, although I may change my mind.

How big would you make the quilts? I feel that quilts for bunk beds perhaps should not have as much of a drop???

Thanks

I'd probably wait til he had them built ... or atleast well on the way.
    I don't know about the mattress sizes, whether you will have much of a variance in thickness?
    I'm thinking that's less likely because of the nature of the bedding system.

Knowing both ... you could work IRL, instead of estimating your sizes by taking a quilt and making the bed!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would wait also till the mattresses are purchased. So many older quilts don't fit the newer mattresses which are thicker. But bunk bed mattresses can be thinner due to being lighter weights and for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
    How big would you make a quilt for a twin sized bunk bed, if you wanted a pillow tuck?

DH is building bunk beds for our granddaughters. I'm making quilts. About 4" of the mattress will be hidden by the side rails of the beds. The mattresses haven't been purchased yet, so I don't know how deep they will be. My daughter wants a pillow tuck.

I'm using the Yellow Brick Road pattern, so 9" blocks. I'd also like to make the quilt without a border, so I can't fudge with the border, although I may change my mind.

How big would you make the quilts? I feel that quilts for bunk beds perhaps should not have as much of a drop???

Thanks
    Take a good sized measuing tape to your bed. Measure the bed itself. Add about 8" for a bottom drop. Then lay a pillow down and measure how wide it is, add another few inches for spare.. You've already measured UNDER the pillow when you measured the bed.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E