Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Sizes >

Quilt Sizes

Quilt Sizes

Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
People like and use quilts differently. Some use quilts as bedspreads, some use them to snuggle with and a large quilt in that case is heavy and unweildly. I fall into the snuggle category and find smaller quilts very useful. I made a twin size quilt for my mother-in-law and she wanted to use it for a bedspread and it didn't come all the way to the floor so she was not happy with it. She has passed away and I now have the quilt back and for me it is too big and heavy to use to snuggle with. Point it, different strokes for different folks. A smaller quilt it not unusable and many people desire them.
This sums up my viewpoint, too. The quilt I used most in my life was a small one I used for napping and supplemental warmth at night -- it was nap/throw/lap size, and so lightweight and easy to toss on the bed and fold up afterwards. I actually think smaller quilts have a better chance of being used in a variety of ways. When I started out quilting, I thought only of making bed-size quilts to be used as bedspreads, but now I prefer making the throw/lap/nap size. Bigger quilts are just so darned heavy. I have a lovely bed-size quilt that is folded and put away. It was too heavy for me to sleep under with my arthritic joints, and there was no point having it on the bed during the day, as it was just covered up by the fitted sheets we have to put on the bed during the day because of the dogs.

It is nice when a pattern offers multiple sizes, which I find many of them do. Maybe another factor in the proliferation of smaller patterns is that with so many people quilting on their DSMs, a smaller quilt is easier to wrestle through the machine.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:13 AM

I make quilts of all sizes -- the size in the pattern never deterred me from making it larger. You will probably find the longer you quilt the more you will make the "odd" sizes.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Barb, that's a nifty chart. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 AM

I think one of the reasons many quilt sizes are baby/lap size is because designers make them to use their line of precuts--charm packs, layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc.
I like the smaller sized quilts but add more blocks to them if I want to make it bigger.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:03 AM

I rarely use a pattern to make a quilt, mainly because of the "scant 1/4 inch" seam. I design my own patterns or lol make it up as I go. The quilts I make specific for family and friends, I usually measure the person, Height and Arm span, and go with those dimensions. If I make a quilt I want it to be used, Everyone so far has been delighted. They say the quilts are their go to for naps, cuddling, sleeping, road trips, camping, etc. Quilting is an Art, so to me has no rules Change it up, make it work for you, write your own rules, think outside the box or lol square, if you will. I don't want to own or make a quilt that is like everyone else's, And size is as important as design, color scheme, etc.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Speaking on this thread, I make big quilts because my DH made a comment of why would you want to warm a wall, and Who is going to use that? BUT I have also found when watching TV (he does, not me) he throws a 'lap' size throw over him that is just something I bought for a dog blanket that he grabbed before the package was opened. So I'm thinking of making 'seasons' quilts all XL twin size to leave on the back of couch for him to grab changing them out as the season changes. Funny but I really don't have any quilts for me. Make them for family (who asked) or have come over and loved one and took it home...
Old 11-15-2014, 12:33 PM

I change the size a lot too. I don't need a lot of bed size quilts though. One per bed is plenty. I do think, however, that you can't have too many lap quilts. I use them for all kinds of things, year round.