Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt sizes >

quilt sizes

quilt sizes

Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 AM

So I've seen various links about sizes of quilts for fitting beds but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around things. In your experience, would an 84x84in quilt fit a double bed without it being too short on the end? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM

If your mattress is a standard double at 54" x 75" then I think your quilt should just fit. If you have a thick mattress or a pillow top, then it might be a little just...
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM

It would depend on the thickness of your mattress.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM

ignore everything you read on this subject. decide how long you want the side drop to be and double that and add it to 54". normally, the sides of the mattress and the sides of the box spring are totally covered. if you have a side rail, you may want to go higher or lower. how long do you want the bottom drop to be? add that to 75". same deal. determine whether that will allow enough 'blanket' to cover the person/people comfortably. large people need more covering than small ones. if you're making a quilt for large people add even more.

old directions frequently had in mind flatter mattresses and iron springs. the drops on those quilts would barely cover today's 12 - 20" mattresses. people today are better fed and much bigger. modern quilts have got to be much, much larger.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I am currently quilting one that I think of as Queen sized. It is 80 x 100. I decided that the comforters that can be bought in the stores are not large enough to go down the sides far enough to please my eyes. I want it to cover the rails.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM

I recently did an 85" x 85" quilt, and the lady said it covered her queen sized bed just great.

I did a 90" x 98", and my sister said it works great on her king bed.

So, the person will also be a deciding factor.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Mine have a tendency to be a little big, but I like them to hang over a ways on the sides.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Here's a quote from my "quilt bible".

.....In general, the decorated area comes to the edge of the bed on each side. It should be long enough to cover the pillows and hang down over the foot the same distance as it does on the sides. The width of the border will be according to taste, but should be wide enough but not too wide to 'balance' with the quilt's design. You will need a wider border if the springs and mattress of the bed are deep.....

If I was worried about my final quilt size, I'd use one of those super long measuring tapes, lay it out on my bed and take measurements.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM

I like to make mine a bit longer than normal. My DH and I both roll up in the quilts, and I like them to be long and wide enough to do that.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
So I've seen various links about sizes of quilts for fitting beds but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around things. In your experience, would an 84x84in quilt fit a double bed without it being too short on the end? Thanks!
Take into consideration whether or not the person will be using a Down comforter under your beautifylly and lovingly made quilt. The extra loft takes up several inches.