Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilt therapy

Is quilting therapy for anyone else out there? I have MS and my doctor told me 9 years ago to not think about what I couldn't do anymore but what I could do. As the list changed and the what I couldn't do got longer,I decided I would keep myself occupied with quilting so my hands would stay flexible.It's a lot easier than sitting in a corner waiting to get worse. My doctor tells his other patients to try needlework now too.

I have a little OCD and quilting is a time I can just relax. When I sit down at the frame, feel the fabric and look at my needle and thread, I just get so relaxed! I can't explain it, but it is a therapy for me.

Absolutely! I have RA and quilting keeps my fingers and joints in good shape.

Yes, I have many aches & pains, but the more I do, especially physically, the better off I am. I am now 67 & retired from teaching in 1996. I do more yard work, cleaning, etc. now than I did when I was younger. Just appreciate what you can do each day & whenever someone asks "how are you", I just answer "well, we got up today". Before I got into quilting, I could not sleep at night as my hands hurt so bad Quilting was definitely therapy for that & I got much better.

That's an excellent way to function. If you keep your mind in a positive frame of thought you're more apt to be more productive. A physical limitation can play tricks on the mind too.

Good to hear how therapeutic quilting is. :thumbup:

Sure is for me... Not physical therapy but definately mental therapy... Life's problem are put on hold for a little while when I get behind my machine.

We have a group of about 9 to 12 ladies who come together twice a week for THERAPY. aka: Escape. We all quilt (among other things.) Sewing of any kind has always been R&R for me. Physical and Mental

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drJaner
    Absolutely! I have RA and quilting keeps my fingers and joints in good shape.
    Me too. I have told this story before, but will repeat it for those who haven't heard it. My wrist doesn't bend much and my fingers get stiff and get cramps when I sew too much. I mentioned this to my doctor who knows my love of sewing. I told him I was having trouble sewing and knitting. He said, "Then maybe you ought not do that any more." My reply was, "Well, that's not going to happen." I have known him for years and he has seen my work so he understands what I mean. He didn't say a word.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    It's mental therapy for me until I work on a nasty little quilt I'm finishing from my mil and it is not going well! I'm have decided to just finishing it no matter what and use it to death!

Quilting helped get me out of a deep depression about 10 years ago. When I startt to feel overwhelmed it helps if I can sew.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast