Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Thread Color? Quilting on a Janome Magnolia New Home >

Quilt Thread Color? Quilting on a Janome Magnolia New Home

Quilt Thread Color? Quilting on a Janome Magnolia New Home

Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Question Quilt Thread Color? Quilting on a Janome Magnolia New Home

I finished Mr. Chillingsworth yesterday, after 2 years of having it. (wow, lot's of procrastination...then I met my mom's best friend from high school and she's made over 80 quilts plus other needlework). I decided to finish up mine. 2 more to go.

Anyway, Mr. Chillingsworth, mine, is around 62 x 68. I have a Janome Magnolia that quilts surprisingly well. Mr. Chillingsworth will have a black back, he has black sashing, and after tonight, a black border. I had to split the picture, sorry. I was going to send him to Missouri Star to quilt, but the thread choices! I live less than an hr. from Hamilton, MO. This will be my first time to have a quilt large enough to send out. But my machine can do it too.

He has parts where he should be quilted in black and then in grey or white. How do you choose what thread to choose? I could also do it myself. I finished a baby quilt from a class in 2002 last night. (Home Machine Quilting-the class where I discovered my mom's Viking was unable to quilt.) The Janome did great with the walking foot. Or should I use a different back? White thread won't look good on the black sashing and border. I know how to sew on binding. I made Wear Warm Clothes back in 1998, when my mom' Viking could quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568639[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 16832195_10210834589673551_876323724416349687_n.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Looks good! Mr. C looks like the background is off white so I would quilt that part in off white thread. It will look neat if you outline quilt Mr. C first so he shows up on the black back too. I might do a meander around Mr. C and once that part is done, I might swith to a varigated cream, grey, black thread for the rest.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks! It's not ungodly huge, I think I can do it myself. Maybe I should use a printed back so the thread doesn't show so much? Like polka dot black and white. Ofcourse after tonight, he'll have a black sashing border. On the black, I'll switch to black thread.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

You don't have to use the same color in the bobbin as you do on top. Put a color in the bobbin that matches the backing and use the colors on top that will make the top look good.

Cari
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Looks good! Mr. C looks like the background is off white so I would quilt that part in off white thread. It will look neat if you outline quilt Mr. C first so he shows up on the black back too. I might do a meander around Mr. C and once that part is done, I might swith to a varigated cream, grey, black thread for the rest.
I like Tartan's suggestion. If you do decide to use a print on the back, I'd still do as she suggested with thread color and design.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Can I outline quilt with my Janome New Home, or should I do that by hand? I think that would look cool on the black in the back. I'll try it with a scrap.