Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Top Repair

Question Quilt Top Repair

My first machine applique quilt top has been damaged and I don't know how to fix it! This quilt top was folded and left on my sewing table, and then an animal, probably a cat being chased by a dog, knocked a water bottle over on top of it. This happened sometime last year, as I have been unable to do any quilting projects or even touch my sewing room in over a year(long story). I have been able to remove the majority of the mildew stains, but when I washed the top a CHUNK just disappeared from one of the edges! it's about 2x3. It almost looks cut! It is a decent quality white on white, I'm just baffled!

At this point taking out the block and redoing it isn't an option I think I have some of this fabric left, do I just applique a piece over the hole? There is an outside border left to be put on, but that will only account for about 1/2 inch of the area.

Thanks! Shana
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If the quilt is for you and you have the same back ground fabric I would just patch it .
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

lol it's for me now

Rather than a patch, I would take it loose, at the sashings, and add an entire strip to that side of the block. Then reattach the sashings. I think a strip would be more stable and pleasing to the eye, than a patch.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

As you say it's 'now for you', so if you don't feel like taking out the whole block and transfer the applique, I would remove and replace a vertical strip of fabric where the tear is.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Mark

How about a evergreen tree half shape to cover hole and 'fall' off the edge? Kind of like Sue has her back turned to the tree

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Rather than a patch, I would take it loose, at the sashings, and add an entire strip to that side of the block. Then reattach the sashings. I think a strip would be more stable and pleasing to the eye, than a patch.
    this was my first thought. another thought is to put a tree or something else appliqued over that spot... depends on the look of the rest of the blocks
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    yes, add an entire strip to replace that side, or a triangle at least. even if you don't have the exact fabric, it will be fine. then finish it before something else befalls the quilt. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Great idea and I would do the same thing even if the fabric were slightly different.

Ohh...I like the strip idea! there is a partial view of the top Name:  2012-08-22_15-43-29_633.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  79.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast