Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt value in $$$$$ >

Quilt value in $$$$$

Quilt value in $$$$$

Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Unless you get an appraisal, insurance really won't pay piddly. When I shipped a quilt from the USA to Australia, I called it a blanket, not a quilt, it made it there just fine. Quilts are desirable and if it is identified as such, I was told it had a higher chance of not arriving.
Thanks but if it does not have exactly what the label says it gets pitched as it is a security risk. It is a shame the military is not longer allowed to travel in their uniforms.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

you need to really think about this ... and talk to the person receiving...and what country you are sending to..
when i participated in an international round robin we had to send the packages to england without insurance...because when we insured it the recipient had to pay BIG BUCKS to pick it up...it was really crazy...to pay for the packaging/insurance/postage then the person picking up had to pay an additional $50+ to get it. so first contact the person...and ask questions about what they want on it...if it's a surprise gift then contact the post office . now for our round robins we put (gift) in the place on the customs slip and no more than a $20 value on it...so they do not have to pay a crazy amount to pick it up. also, check into other shipping options...maybe there is a way to send an insured package with someone outside the postal system???
Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 AM

I totally agree with the ''no insurence'' and send it wrapped in a CLEAR plastic bag.....NO chance of it being mistaken for garbage!!!!!!

bit PLEASE, when you address the box, use a black felt tip marker and write the name and address AT LEAST AN INCH TALL/HIGH and THICK.......there is NOTHING worse than watching the mail carriers squint and ''try'' to read an address that his been written with a regular ink pen in letters that are ''maybe'' as big as the writting in the post. AND THEN, cover the entire address you have just written with CLEAR sealing tape.....again, no chance of raindrops blurring the address. I do this on EVERY package I ship, no matter what is inside....my mail carries just LOVE it.....

jodi in leavenworth
Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 AM

I won a sewing machine on ebay and it came smashed. I sent pictures with my claim, over $300. and received the check within 6 weeks.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:38 AM

I don't insure quilts when shipping since they will only pay for the material costs, not the labor. My time is what makes it really valuable- the materials don't cost that much. And I suspect it would be a big fight to even get the material cost refunded, so I don't bother.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:13 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I won a sewing machine on ebay and it came smashed. I sent pictures with my claim, over $300. and received the check within 6 weeks.
Different scenario. You got paid because you had an actual invoice and it could be tracked back to a sale.

ooc, was it the USPS that paid your claim or did the seller/Paypal end up refunding your money?

The only plus is you can actually track the packages if you buy some insurance for international packages. You see it leave the US, arrive in the foreign country, and make its way to the destination town.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Unless you get an appraisal, insurance really won't pay piddly. When I shipped a quilt from the USA to Australia, I called it a blanket, not a quilt, it made it there just fine. Quilts are desirable and if it is identified as such, I was told it had a higher chance of not arriving.
Thanks but if it does not have exactly what the label says it gets pitched as it is a security risk. It is a shame the military is not longer allowed to travel in their uniforms.
Isn't a quilt a blanket? I know, I would prefer my quilts to be called quilts, not blankets...blankets are so ordinary!