Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt value in $$$$$

I am making an 84" X 92" quilt to send overseas. It is the Ship at Sea pattern set off with Square in a Square and large blocks of 2 different nautical and red material. All is cotton. I am also sending a quilted table runner. What should I insure it for in monetary value??????????

I personally would insure them for no less than $500.00.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Insurance is a PITA!!! You have to document exactly what you paid for everything that goes into it. Your labor is not included :(

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    I agree. But also just a word of caution make sure to wrap them in plastic trash bags before putting them in the box. Just had one ruined when the box got wet. They're still trying to get the smell out

MIL had a LQS give her a written "appraisal" statement for fire insurance purposes. (She was recipient of quilt as gift, so it wasn't HER labor!)

Unless you get an appraisal, insurance really won't pay piddly. When I shipped a quilt from the USA to Australia, I called it a blanket, not a quilt, it made it there just fine. Quilts are desirable and if it is identified as such, I was told it had a higher chance of not arriving.

GOOD ifo. to know, thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    Insurance is a waste sadly- when I was working in the shipping area and packages got lost the USPS never paid a claim no matter what :hunf: So we stopped insuring them :wink: Very few got lost anyways :lol:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    SharonB- once I bought something in RI to be delivered here. When it arrived it was smashed. The post office gave me such a hard time about it I've never bothered insuring anything since then. After many trips, filling out forms and feeling like a criminal (I didn't but they tried to make ME at fault)
    I decided it's just not worth the hassle. I somehow got my money back but what a headache!!!
    Never again!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    I agree. But also just a word of caution make sure to wrap them in plastic trash bags before putting them in the box. Just had one ruined when the box got wet. They're still trying to get the smell out
    I always wrap in plastic when shipping overseas. My son is over security and he says you would not believe some of the stuff that gets ruined. He may be the very one to inspect his own package if he is working that area when it comes in. I hate that you have to list everything on the outside label. No surprises.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast