Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt without batting >

Quilt without batting

Quilt without batting

Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 AM

You have helped me decide how to do a small tablecloth. I have a marked cloth to use for quilting so I'll just put a backing on it and stitch here and there. Really didn't want bulk since the table has a glass top.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
What I now use, and I know this sounds a bit strange, but for a summer-weight quilt I have used diaper material. It's very thin, made of cotton, very breathable, very sturdy, and just enough to keep your quilt from being "see through" and give it a tiny bit of heft, but it doesn't add warmth. I'm talking about using a single layer here. It's cheap, and it's sold by the yard right off a bolt just like fabric. !
I'm so glad to know that. I used to buy diapers to use as dishcloths but it got to be almost impossible to find them unhemmed so I started buying microfiber cloths. Microfiber is great but there is nothing like diaper cloth to get a shiny non-streak finish glass. I found it on Amazon without a problem. Thanks for a great tip. Oh, and they also had diaper flannel by the yard.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 AM

There's always "Cathedral Window". That's my summer quilt.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 AM

http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html has an awesome Cathedral Window quilt made from jeans.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

You can use fleece on the back.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 AM

another suggestion could be to use a layer of linen. i bought some recently from an online shop: fabric shop.com that would totally work, would give some depth for quilting and would breathe and is relatively inexpensive since it is 50". I'm making my summer nightgowns out of a lightweight sheer linen. That night sweats phenomena doesn't help with summer sleeping comfort.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM

You can also use a sheet as batting. My grandmother did this for summer quilts. I also been thinking of using sheeting for a table runner, as batting makes them bulky. Ever try to put a glass of something on a table topper. The glass tilts.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Whoopie View Post
There's always "Cathedral Window". That's my summer quilt.
My CW is a little heavy for a summer quilt unless of course you have air conditioning. Then I use my year around quilts
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by cjackaitlin View Post
I fairly new to quilting. I want to make a summer quilt, can I make one without using batting? Thanks in advance for the help. Mary
Yes, you can make a summer quilt without batting. You can place a backing fabric (your choice) on the back, quilt it and then bind it as a regular quilt. Or you can make it with the birthing method. Place backing fabric right sides together on top of your quilt top, sew it around the sides., leave about 4-5 inches for turning. Turn right side out and slip stitch the opening and wa-la, you have a summer quilt.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM

The batting helps but you can do a quit without batting if you like a lighter look.