Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt without batting?? >

quilt without batting??

quilt without batting??

Old 07-13-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tumdarra View Post
I am making a quilt for my son in law, he finds blankets too hot; so I am thinking of just adding a flannel back to the to
top without any batting. Would if look ok do you think or kind of flimsy? Or if I added a flannel liner, just trying to get some feedback from the gals here who may have had a similar problem. Would appreciate all suggestions....thanks
years ago, late 1800’s and early 20th century, quilts were often tied or quilted w no batt. they were called summer quilts. i like the current thought --your quilt, do it your way.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I'd go with wool batting & regular cotton backing.
I agree; it's amazing how comfortable a wool batting is, even in summer! I slept under mine last night and the temps were in the high 80s/low 90s here yesterday. It also works wonderfully in the winter when I use it with a light weight 100% cotton blanket as well.
Wool drapes beautifully and is light weight. I use Quilters Dream wool.

Jan in VA
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think smooth cotton fabric is much cooler against the skin than flannel. I would use a cotton back, with or without a lightweight batting, rather than put flannel on the back of a quilt that is meant not to be too warm. Wool batting is a good suggestion (from PaperPrincess), since it breathes and is lightweight.
I agree with dunster. I wouldn't use flannel since that is warm.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 AM

I did not use batting on a quilt that I backed with flannel and have regretted it ever since. It's too flat looking and has no dimension. I would either use Dream Cotton Request which is a very thin cotton batting or wool.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 AM

I have made a "summer "quilt with out batting. Yes the quilt is lighter but it also has no body and wrinkles easily. Advantage to no batting is that you do not need to do much quilting since there is no batting to hold together. Also I made a "summer" quilt with flannel as the batting thinking it would be lighter and cooler- NO. Actually it was just as heavy and warm as one made with my usual batting- Hobbs 80/20 and cost much more since flannel by the yard for a large quilt is more expensive than using batting. Bottom line- I will always use my regular atting since it is really not too heavy or warm.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 AM

I made my husband a lap quilt with no batting, just flannel backing. He absolutely loves it. Of course, we live in AZ where it's pretty warm (putting it mildly). He wanted something he could throw over himself when watching TV or taking a nap. Grandson loves it too and asked for one.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM

Have you looked into Thermore batting? It's poly and very thin (1/8") and very, very lightweight. It's used a lot in making jackets because it drapes well it.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM

thanks for all the great ideas, I will take a look and see what I can find for a lighter batting, I like the fusible lining idea that might be the best for me and think I will take most of the suggestions and just do a cotton backing...........back to the fabric store
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 AM

Yep...have two for summer. Just top and flannel. Only issue is that hard to see the quilting pattern.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 AM

I learned the hard way not to quilt without a batting. Quilting was difficult to say the least, and the design did not show up well. A thin batting such as prewashed flannel or something like Quilters Dream Request would be light weight enough and still be easy to quilt. Hope this helps.