Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt without batting?? >

quilt without batting??

quilt without batting??

Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 AM

I was under the understand that in order for it to be technically called a quilt, it has to be three layers.

Quilting only two layers seems actually more difficult than if you had a third layer. Definitely wouldn't use flannel anywhere in the quilt! I'd do as some have suggested and use a thin wool batting since it breathes and use cotton on the top and bottom.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 AM

Here in Arkansas a quilt with any batting is too heavy in the summer time. I have two quilts without batting. One the top was made by my mother in law and hand quilted by my mother. The other I made for myself and tied it. And I call it a quilt if it goes on the bed unless it's a bedspread and only one layer thick. Edited to add - even in winter all I need is one quilt to stay quite warm.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM

My gran made me a "bedspread" when I was 15 that was a pieced top and pieced back with no batting. All cotton; tied with yarn (like all of her quilts). That quilt was extra special to me because gran let me select the fabrics and dictate the layout. Funny to look at it now because my taste hasn't changed all that much - super scrappy is still my style! LOL

It's held up really really well over the years - it's 24 years old now. Right now it lives draped over the back of my couch.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 AM

I have made a few without batting for summer. They work great but will offer that if you quilt with your long arm, you might have a few problems such as I had. Since there is no batting for the latching of the treads together, you might want to quilt on your regular sewing machine. Stitch in the ditch or big swirls work well. I agree flannel is too warm for a light quilt.

Best of Luck and let us see the finished quilt. Karen
Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 AM

I have known this type of quilt as a counterpane quilt. I've made a few of them. I just piece the top and put a pretty fabric on for the back. I quilt them on my machine.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Flannel on the back would be fine. Just wash it first as flannel does shrink.