Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt without batting?? >

quilt without batting??

quilt without batting??

Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Default quilt without batting??

I am making a quilt for my son in law, he finds blankets too hot; so I am thinking of just adding a flannel back to the to
top without any batting. Would if look ok do you think or kind of flimsy? Or if I added a flannel liner, just trying to get some feedback from the gals here who may have had a similar problem. Would appreciate all suggestions....thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 PM

I have never done it myself, but I have seen many posts here that have said the make quilts with just the pieced top and backing--no batting--for many reasons like yours, living in a warmer climate, etc. I think it would be fine with a regular quilting cotton back or a flannel back.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I'd go with wool batting & regular cotton backing.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

My grandma would occasionally make a cover (coverlet?) that consisted of a pieced top and a cotton backing - knowing my DGM, that was probably pieced, also. There was no filling, and it was tied.

Think of it as a double sheet. Worked well in the summer time in a non-airconditioned house - especially towards morning when it finally started to cool down.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:31 PM

I made a quilt that was 3 layers of flannel - top, batting, backing. It was pretty heavy. However, if you're doing cotton for the top and backing, I think a flannel batting would be okay.

You could always do a test square and see what you think.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I think smooth cotton fabric is much cooler against the skin than flannel. I would use a cotton back, with or without a lightweight batting, rather than put flannel on the back of a quilt that is meant not to be too warm. Wool batting is a good suggestion (from PaperPrincess), since it breathes and is lightweight.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I've had to make a few (summer/warm climate) quilts over the years ... Family in Florida and San Diego ... Flannel makes for a pretty warm quilt! So I have had to do some experimenting . the best results came from the ones with just regular cottons top & backing and a layer of lightweight fusible interfacing (fused to the back of the top) and quilted. The one I made that needed to be a bit *loftier* I used wool batting in And, the summer quilt on my bed has wool batting. The great thing about wool batting is it is lightweight, breaths, and has great loft. It is definitely a favorite.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:01 PM

A friend of mine just asked me about this, he wants a lap/throw quilt and says he doesn't want it heavy so no batting I thought since I'm not spending the money on the batting instead I was thinking of buying a good quality bed sheet for the backing and stitching in the ditch and bind
Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 PM

My grandmother made summer quilts that were just a pieced top and a back, no batting. I agree that flannel is warm.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;6799424]My grandma would occasionally make a cover (coverlet?) that consisted of a pieced top and a cotton backing - knowing my DGM, that was probably pieced, also. There was no filling, and it was tied.

Yup, when I was a kid we called them coverlets. Just the quilt top and a backing. There usually was no binding and the quilt was sewn together (right sides together) along the edges leaving an opening so it could be turned. Then it was quilted. In my house they were called summer quilts/coverlets.