Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: quilt as you go 'the border'

Quote Originally Posted by Norah
    Quote Originally Posted by joy
    Could anyone please tell me the size of a lap quilt?
    Lap quilts are meant to cover a lap while one is sitting in a chair, and vary in size. Generally about 42x42 or a little bigger. What ya making?
    Well, wouldn't that depend upon the size of the lap? some of us a bit wider than others. Hah!

I just completed a lap/sofa quilt for a friend who was retiring and mine was a lttle bigger than average--about 53" square. I had it to about 45" and decided it was too small. So I guess its whatever looks righ to you or whatever is right for the recipient if you are giving it away.

When I quilt in sections, after the sections are quilted, I sew the front to gether w/ 1/4" seams. For the back, I cut 1" strips - sew the strip to the left side - fold the strip over 1/4" & handstitch the strip to the other section. Hope this isn't clear as mud as it works well for me. I then attach the border w/out the need for the strips since the outside edge is open anyway. It then is sealed w/the binding. Hope it works for you. :?:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6