Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt as you go question >

quilt as you go question

quilt as you go question

Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 PM

I am finding lots of tuts for quilt as you go. They all seem to be for small wall hangings, placemats etc. I want to do a queen size quilt as you go. If I sew the blocks together and quilt them as I go, how do I go about then sewing the rows together, Maybe I'm just not getting it. I have to make a wedding quilt done by the end of April :) Its for my baby daughter and I appreciate in advance any and all help that you can help me with, Thank you so much. I haven't chosen the design yet (will not be the wedding ring). Thanks again
Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM

There are several patterns titled fast and done that are for quilt as you go in several sizes that might work for you
Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM

You can trim your backing so that it's 1/4" bigger than the block (after quilting) and them sew them together. Make a 1" sashing for the front and sew it to one side of your block at 1/4" then sew the other side down with a top stitch. OR you can quilt your blocks, trim the backing to 1" bigger after quilting, sew the two backings together, double fold the backing over the top and stitch it down. This is called Fun & Done

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-81430-1.htm

Pictures 3,4,5,& 6 are examples of the Fun & Done
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM

I have made a couple of Fun and Done quilts and they turned out really nice. If you decide to try it, I can help.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:30 PM

Fun and Done is also the technique used by Betty Cotton. There is also a two strip method of applying sashing which I use frequently but don't have a tutorial for it and don't know the name of it either, maybe someone else does.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

I did one block by block. pieced my block with batting and then backing cut 1 inch larger. quilted the block. then sewed two blks together with seam coming to the front(can do it to the back) and folded over one backing edge 1/4 inch and over again. did same with other blk backing. pinned them down and then did a blanket stitch on them. '
sewed a row this way. sewed rows together and then folded the backing over as i did on the blocks and sewed. done!well i did the backing over on the edges too for binding. then done!

back of the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161009[/ATTACH]

front with seams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161018[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161004.jpe   attachment-161013.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 AM

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I get how to sew the blocks together, thats no problem. Its the rows that are stumping me. Does anyone know of a good video to watch to help me, or does anyone live in Waterville Maine LOL, how I wish!

btw the pics of your quilts are gorgeous, all of them
Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 AM

Sew your blocks in a row by which ever way you choose, QAYG or F&D. Sew your rows together the exact same way. If you choose the F&D, only turn under and stitch down the seams where you've sewn the blocks together. After putting the rows together you'll sew that seam down.
If you choose the QAYG thing and attach them with sashing strips still sew your rows together then use a strip the width of your row as sashing.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 AM

I found a video and it has helped a lot. Thanks again all.
If you are interested in seeing the video its here:
http://www.baysidequilting.com/store...idCategory=284
I'd love to know your thoughts on this :)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 AM

You can use the fun and done technique for regular pieced quilt blocks too. Make the block of your choice , cut batting to fit size of block, make backing 1 inch larger all the way around, do some simple quilting of your choice onto the block and them finish witht the fun and done way of connecting the blocks. This works great for a sampler quilt.