Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go >

Quilt as you go

Quilt as you go

Old 12-15-2015, 05:13 AM

Default Quilt as you go

Has anyone used this method? Does it work when sashing is involved? How would you rate this method?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:50 AM

I have done this a few times. There are a number of methods, I usually use strips on both front and back. Leah Day has a video on this method. Did it once with sashing. Used the sashing as my strips and cut a narrow strip of batting to lay in the channel made by the sashing. That's a little tricky. You could do the sashing as if a block and use the same fabric for the strips on either side of the sashing. You could even use a contrast fabric for the strips to make it look as if the sashing were pieced.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:52 AM

I have made many quilts using the QAYG method. For large quilts, it is much easier than trying to squeeze the quilt through the DSM harp. This is basically the method I use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA
Old 12-15-2015, 05:56 AM

The first time I did it was a quilt as you go. It turned out great. There are some nice you tube vidoes
Old 12-15-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

QAYG is a blanket term that covers many different methods. It's self explanatory: you quilt the quilt as you go rather than waiting until the entire top is put together and manhandling the entire top, batt and backing either by hand or machine. You can quilt single blocks, groups of blocks or sections of the quilt. Many folks quilt the main body of the quilt top, quilt the borders separately and attach.
Some of the techniques use sashing, others don't. Some have you piece the entire top, then add the batting & backing in sections. If you don't like one technique, then try another.
There are lots of you tube videos out there and some good books.
Marti Michell's "Machine Quilting in Sections" is a really great resource. She covers many techniques:
http://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell-...=marti+michell

Sharon Pederson's book "Reversible Quilts" covers a single technique, but lots of inspiration:
http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Qui...ersible+quilts

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-15-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

Great method. Yes you do use sashing.normal on top and one on base sew both to one block through am layers. Now I attach next block with top sashing. The backing sashing I fold over and hand stitch down. Some in my group us the sewing machine for this hand sewing stage, personally don't like seeing the row of machine stitching on either back or front.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:39 PM

I love doing QAYG! For me the sashing was a little difficult. It just takes time. I usually do a 2 or 3 foot constructed section of the quilt that includes the sashing, then assemble the whole thing.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:50 PM

My first ever quilt class (1977) was a sampler quilt, with sashing, each block quilted by hand on a square frame, then machine seamed fronts and hand hemmed back seams. Many years later, I took a QAYG class where we pieced directly onto the batting and backing in long strips, then sashed between them. So, as many have said above, it depends on the pattern you plan.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I just don't like trying to attach the quilted blocks together. I know a few of the quilters in our church group make very lovely quilts from this method.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

i like to make placemats using that method!!

FREE Quilting Newsletter