Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go >

Quilt as you go

Quilt as you go

Old 08-03-2016, 03:57 PM

Default Quilt as you go

I am attempting to make my first quilt and since I've never had any quilting classes, I'm totally confused with the instructions in my pattern for making a quilt as you go.
My instructions tell me to cut individual pieces of batting that match my strips of material and also cut 2 exact same strips for the front and back of the quilt. I've tried to watch some YouTube videos on making quilts as you go and they all seem to work on a large backing with one piece of batting instead of individual pieces so I'm a little confused at how to do this.
My instructions are also having me work from the center out because the center is a large square with an applique in the middle.
I'm trying to visualize how this will work and if I'm understanding any of this, I believe I have to first make my square, then lay my first border on the center square, right sides together and the strip of batting that matches my first strip on top of the strip. I will have another strip underneath with right sides together and then sew through all layers.
Is that right?
The pattern keeps adding strips of material around each row. Two of the rows are supposed to have corner squares. Is that any harder then adding full length strips? I don't necessarily have to make corner squares if that's going to make things any more difficult then they probably already are.
And one more question. After attaching my first border, the instructions say "quilt as desired." Does this mean if I want, I can stitch lines in each border? I don't really want to do that or add any extra work for myself since this is my first attempt at quilting.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Wow! Quilt as you go is pretty complicated for a beginner. I would probably start with a smaller item to be able to learn the fundamental techniques before trying to tackle the quilt you've described. In addition to the complicated instructions, the other thing you have to watch out for is what size your seams will be when you're adding the next piece. When piecing at top, seams are a scant 1/4" (roughly 3/16"). However, with QAYG, you have to make an allowance for the batting and up to 3 layers of fabric. There isn't a hard and fast rule in that case -- it will depend on the loft of your batting.

Okay, that said, if you are really up for a pretty good challenge, you are correct about how to do the layers when adding the sashing/next piece. Straight lines in the sashing would be acceptable, or if your sashing is 2" or less, you don't need to quilt it at all (the QAYG method will provide quilting lines at each of the seams, which is sufficient as long as it's not wider than 2"). As a point of clarification, you want to be sure to quilt the blocks before adding the sashing. The main thing with the corner squares is that you probably are sewing on the bias. To make things a bit easier on yourself, you can glue baste those seams (just mix together a bit of Elmer's washable glue and enough water to make it thinner but not watery in a Dixie cup) -- you just dab a bit with your finger/flat toothpick/paintbrush along the edges you plan to sew together & then iron to dry the glue. That way you won't have to worry about the bias edge shifting on you.

All that said, I really would encourage maybe choosing a smaller, more traditional project for your first quilt. A table runner, placemats, pet quilt, crib quilt or lap quilt are all good choices. Picking a pattern that uses squares, rectangles, half square triangles or some combination thereof would be good options to begin to learn piecing. Straight lines that can be quilted with a Walking Foot (or if you have a Dual Feed machine) are a good choice for beginning quilting.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by asheryl View Post
I am attempting to make my first quilt and since I've never had any quilting classes, I'm totally confused with the instructions in my pattern for making a quilt as you go.
My instructions tell me to cut individual pieces of batting that match my strips of material and also cut 2 exact same strips for the front and back of the quilt. I've tried to watch some YouTube videos on making quilts as you go and they all seem to work on a large backing with one piece of batting instead of individual pieces so I'm a little confused at how to do this.
My instructions are also having me work from the center out because the center is a large square with an applique in the middle.
I'm trying to visualize how this will work and if I'm understanding any of this, I believe I have to first make my square, then lay my first border on the center square, right sides together and the strip of batting that matches my first strip on top of the strip. I will have another strip underneath with right sides together and then sew through all layers.
Is that right?
The pattern keeps adding strips of material around each row. Two of the rows are supposed to have corner squares. Is that any harder then adding full length strips? I don't necessarily have to make corner squares if that's going to make things any more difficult then they probably already are.
And one more question. After attaching my first border, the instructions say "quilt as desired." Does this mean if I want, I can stitch lines in each border? I don't really want to do that or add any extra work for myself since this is my first attempt at quilting.
I am not 100 percent sure but this kind of sounds like Kaye Wood's technique. She has a detailed video for her quilt as you go six hour quilt technique. I use her method all the time, but I do not use a serger. You can duplicate her method using a sewing machine. Here's a link that may help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48
Old 08-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

This tutorial has helped me.

http://www.thequiltingedge.com/2011/...g-borders.html
Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the links Slbram17 and Stitchnripper. I think they might help me.
And thanks Bree for letting me know I certainly picked the wrong quilting project to start with. The picture of it looked so easy since other than the applique, it looked like just some simple stitching of strips together. I never knew the whole process could be difficult. My pattern says to cut 5" strips but then use 1/2" seams so maybe I'm going to have stitch in the middle of each strip.
I really want to be able to make this quilt since I've already bought all the supplies and I just love the material I bought and the pattern. I have some scrap material so I think I'll do a little experimenting before I do any cutting with my actual material.
I'm also hoping to get to a shop in my hometown tomorrow that has different sewing classes. I'm not sure if they have any quilting classes going on right now but maybe they'll be one in the near future.
I've done lots of different sewing in my life and I've never been afraid to try something new so I'm hoping I can figure this all out.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:23 PM

Just take it slowly, going step by step & you'll get it sorted out.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

You could make a practice piece - say a 2x2 unit piece - and use it for a cat blanket when it is done.

That would be big enough to practice the techniques.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by asheryl View Post
Thanks for the links Slbram17 and Stitchnripper. I think they might help me.
And thanks Bree for letting me know I certainly picked the wrong quilting project to start with. The picture of it looked so easy since other than the applique, it looked like just some simple stitching of strips together. I never knew the whole process could be difficult. My pattern says to cut 5" strips but then use 1/2" seams so maybe I'm going to have stitch in the middle of each strip.
I really want to be able to make this quilt since I've already bought all the supplies and I just love the material I bought and the pattern. I have some scrap material so I think I'll do a little experimenting before I do any cutting with my actual material.
I'm also hoping to get to a shop in my hometown tomorrow that has different sewing classes. I'm not sure if they have any quilting classes going on right now but maybe they'll be one in the near future.
I've done lots of different sewing in my life and I've never been afraid to try something new so I'm hoping I can figure this all out.
Kaye Wood suggests 6 inch strips in her tutorial, but honestly, I use the technique in general. In other words, I sometimes use smaller or larger strips, and I do a little free motion quilting on the strips after they are attached to the previous strip. I am thinking of tackling the normal quilting process again. I have made regular size quilts but it has been a very long time, and I don't look forward to a struggle on my machine. But even quilt as you go gets a little tough as the quilt gets bigger. I usually make queen size quilts, but did make one king size using quilt as you go.

You may also want to consider a craftsy class. I am taking one for hand applique and it is very well done. You can submit questions to the instructor at various points during the video. I am only in lesson two, but it seems to be very thorough.
http://www.craftsy.com/class/piece-b...echniques/5160

Best of luck. It will work out if you don't give up on the process.

Last edited by slbram17; 08-04-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. One way or another, I'm going to figure out how to make this quilt. I have lots of patience and determination and I'm hoping to get to a local fabric shop when they open this morning to see if they can give me any tips or have any upcoming quilting classes.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:07 AM

After years of struggling I finally took a beginning machine piecing class. It is the best money I ever spent. I also learned the importance of the ladies that work at the quilt shop for guiding me toward projects that are more in keeping with my skill level. I still have one top partially made that is waiting for me to learn the skills necessary to finish it. But at least now I know what to look for in a class and in a project.

FREE Quilting Newsletter