Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt as you go ???

Blog Entries
    Hi all,
    I have made many quilts, many pics posted on this board but I want to try a quilt as you go, I find it harder and harder to get on the floor etc and bending over (anyone know that routine?) lol.
    I want my quilt as my go project to be completely done in the machine no hand stitching. Everywhere I go to see a tut I find that you have to handstitch, is it possible to get away from that?
    Please help, Christmas is coming (well in ll more months) LOL.
    Thanks all in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by patchitpat
    Hi all,
    I have made many quilts, many pics posted on this board but I want to try a quilt as you go, I find it harder and harder to get on the floor etc and bending over (anyone know that routine?) lol.
    I want my quilt as my go project to be completely done in the machine no hand stitching. Everywhere I go to see a tut I find that you have to handstitch, is it possible to get away from that?
    Thanks all in advance.
    I would love to learn this too.

Blog Entries
    i've done a couple. a log cabin, and a stained glass. the backing and the batting is cut for like a 9" block, or a l0" block, whatever the size will be finished after sewing your individual--say 3" blocks together. for the log cabin, i started in the middle, sewed the lst block on--thru the bating and backing (which turned into the quilting.) keep adding your blocks. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by patchitpat
    Hi all,
    Thanks all in advance.

Here's a site that might help.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...47387259nozWsW

I"m doing one right now and its so easy and fun. I'll post it when I get done with it and the directions on how to do it.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used this video on some 12.5 inch blocks I had made. It worked out pretty well considering I had no clue what I was doing.

http://www.baysidequilting.com/

look for Fun and Done

The Fun and Done from bayside quilting has no hand sewing and its really easy to do. Use a 7 1/2 and a 9 1/2 ruler for their patterns.
    You cut the backing 9 1/2 and the batting 7 1/2 and the blocks are done like paper piecing where you sew strips onto the batting one at a time iron and add another strip.
    Then you place the block backing sides togather and sew the backings togather as close as you can get to the block. Use a zipper foot. Then you fold the backing over the top of the block folding edges inside so you have 1/4 in and sew down. You do need to pick a backing fabric that goes with the top since it is also the sashing.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the links and for the help, I think I'm going to try this. Everyone here is great.