Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QuiltCon 2016 >

QuiltCon 2016

QuiltCon 2016

Old 01-02-2016, 03:59 PM

As for hydration, we have water bottle carriers we made and take with us. However, I only take a small water bottle due to the weight and the fact that it is easier to fill at a water fountain.
Thanks for reminding me to alert our banks before we go to Road2California.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:43 PM

I agree with taking water. It's always really expensive at these events. Before you take a cart along, check with the show. Houston Quilt Festival doesn't allow them on the floor unless you are a vendor. I prefer to take a tote bag. I've been banged with too many over full backpacks when people turn around. They seem to forget they have this big thing on their back! Another thing to watch is if you put your money in the backpack be sure to put it in a pocket that's against your body. I watched a woman take her wallet out of an outside pocket on a backpack, put it back and put the bag back on. As far as I'm concerned that's almost begging to have to lifted. For quilt fest, I have a badge holder that I hang around my neck and carry my money and credit cards there so they are always in front of me and next to my body.

Put on your patient hat because there are usually crowds and have fun!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:24 AM

The best thing I ever got for quilt shows (besides shoes) is a safari type sleeveless vest. Plenty of pockets and I added a few on the inside that velcro shut for cash and credit cards. and don't forget to notify your credit card company. One time at the international show in Ohio, they canceled my card. Thank God I was able to contact them and could continue buying. Have fun!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 AM

If you've never been to Quilt Con, check with someone who has to make sure water bottles or wheeled bags are allowed. Both are banned at the Houston Quilt Festival
Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 AM

OnebyOne - thanks for the tip on the shoes - I've been looking for something similar and these look like they are exactly what I need!

It takes a little planning when going to a big quilting event.
When I went to a similar large quilting event, a friend suggested that I preprint labels ahead of time with my name, address and email so that I don't have to take the time to write all of my contact info on ballots for the giveaways that many of the vendors offer. I also used them for raffle tickets and if I wanted to be on some of the designer newsletter lists.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM

I usually try not to take my purse as it gets heavy after a while. I take a large tote bag to carry my purchases with my wallet and some tissues and tylenol. I also take a small notebook to write down things. Sometimes I am undecided about a purchase and later can't remember where it was. Of course comfy shoes and water.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
MIL and me always took our 2 wheel ''ol'lady grocery carts You can hang a tote over the handle for snacks/water bottle to keep your hands free. I always carry my wallet and keys in my pocket.
Most quilt shows don't allow the wheeled totes/carts any more. I take a back pack and waist pack with me.