Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilted Casserole Covers?

Newspaper....what a great idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kacy 49
    I make mine out of placemats. You just sew two placemats together on 3 sides and put 2 button holes on the open end for a spoon. I put velcro on the inside of the open end to close it. Very easy.

the spoon attached to the cover, is very clever!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieH
    Do you ladies know how good newspaper (multi-layers) is for keeping dishes hot? Our church begins at 9:00 a.m., and our "dinners" at 12:00 noon. Those who live too far away to make two trips have learned that if we wrap the dishes in several layers of newspaper and then place them in the carry-all, they will still be at serving temp (oven hot!) for the potluck.

Newspaper works well for insulating cold items, too. If you are transporting those in a cooler chest, cover them with several layers of newspaper. I transported seafood from Louisiana to Colorado like this--a 2-day trip. The seafood was still frozen solid when we arrived--and in June, not winter.
    Didn't our ancestors know this? Think of all the old houses lined with newspaper!

Do you ladies know how good newspaper (multi-layers) is for keeping dishes hot? Our church begins at 9:00 a.m., and our "dinners" at 12:00 noon. Those who live too far away to make two trips have learned that if we wrap the dishes in several layers of newspaper and then place them in the carry-all, they will still be at serving temp (oven hot!) for the potluck.

Newspaper works well for insulating cold items, too. If you are transporting those in a cooler chest, cover them with several layers of newspaper. I transported seafood from Louisiana to Colorado like this--a 2-day trip. The seafood was still frozen solid when we arrived--and in June, not winter.
    A number of years ago, I was going outside on the front porch, sitting on the steps, while I smoked a cigarette. It got colder and colder and one day, I took some newspapers out to sit on. I was so much warmer that I vowed I would take newspapers downtown for the "homeless" ... newspapers have been used all over the place as insulation ... good of you to remind us.

Blog Entries

Were you ever a Girl Scout or a Brownie???? Going way back~~~we made "Sit-a-pons"! We used oil cloth (like our Mom's table cloths) 2 pieces with newspaper in between, punched holes along the sides and whipped them together with yarn or heavey twine leaving a loop to attach to our belts. When ever we sat in the grass~~~which was most of the time~~ we had an instant seat to "sit-a-pon"!!! Good memories!

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    good memories.......

Blog Entries
    Kacy, what size casserole dish fits into this size? I have made them out of placemats too and then I have all kinds of trouble finding the right sized pan/dish.
    Thank you in advance

Thimbleberries.com has one free. I have made several.
    Have fun with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2