Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilted With Love >

Quilted With Love

Quilted With Love

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

It is still so amazing to me to see all these helpful quilters on here and today, I had my first in-person experience with helpful quilters. I'm a New Yorker and most of us are content to go our own way or to be left alone. (I read 'Quilting For Dummies' because I had no one who had the time to teach me) Then I joined this wonderful board with all these helpful women.

Today, while struggling to pick out 20 coordinating fabrics for a bargello, (and I mean struggling since I'm a newer quilter), these two, sweet women stopped picking out their own fabrics to help me when they saw me in front of the same bolts for a while. They were shuffling bolts and hemming and hawing almost as much as I was. I am so glad they were there, my own quilting guardian angels, to keep me from buying unnecessarily. The Bible tells about older women teaching and helping younger women and I really saw that in a quilting light today. I don't think I could have coordinated that many fabrics without their help today.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Isn't it great!! God is soo Good
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM

I am so thankful for Godly, older women who have helped me in so many areas!
Where are you in upstate NY? I was just there a couple weeks ago, in the Adirondacks/Lake George area, also went to Plattsburgh to visit my old elementary school.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Isn't that wonderful!! I have helped quite a few ladies with choosing fabrics that I just happened upon in the quilt shop or JoAnns. And I have had several situations where an Angel came along to help me in my decision!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

The world is a better place when we remember to stop and help each other with little things. I think quilter's are especially helpful, it's how we give back what was so generously given to us, we just keep it going around and around. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Andie
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

That is very nice! I love to help people when they struggle and one the main reasons that when I taught beginning quilting we chose the fabric together in class 1.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter
Where are you in upstate NY? I was just there a couple weeks ago, in the Adirondacks/Lake George area, also went to Plattsburgh to visit my old elementary school.
I'm in between Syracuse and Watertown, almost perfectly. It's beautiful this time of year. :)
Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by King's Daughter
I'm in between Syracuse and Watertown, almost perfectly. It's beautiful this time of year. :)
Yes, it is. It was beautiful when we were there, the only thing that could have been prettier would have been if the leaves had started turning.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM

I've heard stories of helpful quilters in the stores but never met some, especially ones so wonderful. I've received so many helpful answers to my questions on here but not in our local Joann's. Even the workers there are rarely helpful. One of the quilts I was buying fabric for was a mourning quilt, partially to help my step sister mourn and partly to help ME mourn as I make it, so it was very difficult and they were perfectly wonderful. In moments they had me laughing and forgetting my sad task. God bless them, and, if you're reading this and happened to be in a NY Joann's today, helping a distraught woman, thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

The LQS's here are very helpful. The others stores aren't very helpful, but I think it is mainly because they know less than we do.