Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter/Artist >

Quilter/Artist

Quilter/Artist

Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 AM

If you are creating art, no matter if you follow another's design or not, then you are an artist....just not a designer. An artist creates beauty, they don't necessarily design that beauty.

Perhaps you should add a catagory or question...when does a quilter become a designer? Is it when they change the colors of an age-old pattern to suit themselves? Perhaps when they make up a new pattern from start to finish? (Is that even possible except with a landscape type of quilt?)

I think it's all a matter of perspective. Many oil painters think that Thomas Kincade is NOT an artist, that he uses "tricks" instead of creating art. (Don't ask me to explain, I got disgusted with that conversation and left the room after I heard that, without waiting for explanations from those talking about him) If you were to follow the same thought pattern, Jinny Beyer is just a quilter, and not an artist or designer...because she uses patterned fabrics to create with...

~shrug~ Not sure I made my point clear...and really not even sure it matters... just that in my mind, everyone that puts together pieces of fabric, batting, and binding is an artist of SOME degree...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Definition of ARTIST

one skilled or versed in learned arts

one who professes and practices an imaginative art
a person skilled in one of the fine arts

a skilled performer; especially : artiste

one who is adept at something <con artist> <strikeout artist>

(from Merriam-Webster)

I define it as the breath of imagination, a visionary of sorts, the skill to pull together all the elements of the craft.

It could also be what others consider you, not what you think you are. As in, I simply sew fabric together. Another may look at my interpretations with appreciation and declare I am an artist. (Note: This will NEVER happen in my natural lifetime! :lol: )
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM

This might be one of those things that is hard to define, but you know it when you see it!

I usually design my own patterns, but even so, I don't yet consider myself an artist. Being a quilt artist is something I aspire to, and am still a few projects away from achieving!

I do believe that being an artist involves both creativity and technical skill. One must conquer the technical aspects in order to fully execute one's vision.

Just my opinion! I'm a happy crafter until I morph like a butterfly into the artist I hope to be!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
In my humble opinion, if someone makes a quilt following the pattern directions exactly, using the exact fabrics suggested, he/she is a quilter but not a quilting artist. An artist to me uses his/her imagination to come up with 'new' visions.
I agree with this as well..However, a new quilter,whether an artist at heart or not has to crawl before walking= following directions and patterns...
Yet I believe an artist at heart will have total tunnel vision ( like a movie that wont stop) playing over n over in her mind about what she will eventually create once she gets these blasted basic steps down lol
Old 09-28-2010, 03:25 PM

I am learning an art

:)

Airing of the Quilts 2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]103013[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-103008.jpe  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I think I am a student of the quilt art. Currently, I am learning techniques and many theories. I believe myself to be adept with the tools but still lacking the freedom to do my own thing.

I have not mastered any techniques and I have not really branched out to put my own design in fabric. A true artist must have the spirit and the eye along with the technical execution. Looks like I will be a quilt art student for a while.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM

exactly MadQuilter. However, Ive purchased my design wall and books on exactly what I want to learn..I'm so gonna jump in a play lol
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 AM

As the saying goes, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We are all individuals with our own tastes so what one might consider art another may not.
Personally I don't need a label. They are for my quilts.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 PM

In your case it was with the first stitch! Your work is beautiful!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:21 PM

Thank you quilter 68 if those kind word are meant for me. I have been sewing for a long time and quilting for about 7 years. For me it's a labor of love.
Don't know how I would have gone in retirement without my craft work. Happy New Year.