Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilter vs quiltmaker

last night this question came up, what is the difference between quilter and quiltmaker?

not sure of it

Blog Entries
    No difference, I think. Just semantics. I am quilter, I am a quilt maker. Both are correct in describing me and what I do. :-)

I would think they are the same. I'm first an foremost a Quilter! I may do other things in the process, but that is my passion!

Some people like to define what type of quilting they do....to me, they're the same terms but someone may use one over the other if they create tops but don't machine or hand quilt.

Sending it out or tying a quilt counts as quilting in my book---not so for all quilters/quiltmakers.

I too believe it is semantics, maybe developed to differentiate between those that only piece and send completed tops out to be sandwiched with batting and quilted (quiltmaker ? ) and vice versa like longarmers who no longer piece quilt tops but just quilt other peoples tops (quilter ? ). So I wonder what cubbyhole the semantics people want to shove me into. I have pieced, sandwiched, quilted by hand, quilted by machine, sent out to a longarmer and upon getting my own longarm have quilted for others as well as myself and I still piece. Well as my dad used to say you can call me anything you want just don't call me late to dinner! :lol:

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Difference between a quilter and a quiltmaker?
    3 little letters ...M..A..K...that's all!!

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    So I wonder what cubbyhole the semantics people want to shove me into. I have pieced, sandwiched, quilted by hand, quilted by machine, sent out to a longarmer and upon getting my own longarm have quilted for others as well as myself and I still piece. Well as my dad used to say you can call me anything you want just don't call me late to dinner! :lol:
    My new best friend?? LOL
    Seriously I envy anyone who can/has done all of that!

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    No difference, I think. Just semantics. I am quilter, I am a quilt maker. Both are correct in describing me and what I do. :-)
    I agree :-D

Is there a difference??? I don't think so :lol: