Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's chalk line >

Quilter's chalk line

Quilter's chalk line

Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Default Quilter's chalk line

I saw a demo on Missouri Star Quilt company link that showed a Pellon quilter's chalk line and chalk. It was used to mark border placements and crosshatch quilting lines. The chalk erases with the iron. I thought it would be great to use in a pounce or my hand chalk roller. I don't know how much it costs but has anyone tried it?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Banned

I have read that sometimes using the powder in a chalk roller will imbead the chalk into the fabric and difficult to remove. It aparantly depends on the type of roller. The ones with dashed sharp points are the problem.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

i use alot of chalk for marking quilts, even for piecing/applique--- i use alot of chalk.
i've never used ones that disappeared with an iron- i've always avoided pressing anything marked- fearing i would (set it)
i've never had a problem with chalk not washing out...different colors, white, they have all washed out of finished projects. i have looked at the 'chalk lines' that are being sold in quilt shops & thought about them- but found a carpenter's chalk line costs alot less- and has a whole lot more chalk in it- i've used one of those a few times to get a straight line around the perimeter of a finished quilt i was trimming before adding binding- it worked great...was alot easier than crawling along on my knees with my 24" ruler and a pencil.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
- but found a carpenter's chalk line costs alot less- and has a whole lot more chalk in it- i've used one of those a few times to get a straight line around the perimeter of a finished quilt i was trimming before adding binding- it worked great...was alot easier than crawling along on my knees with my 24" ruler and a pencil.
Great idea, going to try that on the large queen quilt that I'm doing now