Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters Club of America >

Quilters Club of America

Quilters Club of America

Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 AM

I keep getting invitations to join this club. My question is-----
Is it really worth the expense? Does anyone have past experience? Thank you. :?:
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 AM

This was a topic recently and most people, including me, who have joined, said no. It is a waste of money
Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 AM

I can find so many free patterns online and in the books and mags I already own so I can't justify the expense. I would rather spend the money on fabric and thread.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM

I joined the free on-line community, but I have not gotten a membership, yet. I haven't decided about the membership.

Here's a link to the most recent conversation about this.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141787-1.htm
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
I keep getting invitations to join this club. My question is-----
Is it really worth the expense? Does anyone have past experience? Thank you. :?:
Thank you ladies. I'm going to spend the money on fabric. :lol:
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM

I like it. I've had memberships for this one, The Quilt Show, Quilt University and The Quilting School and I like all of them.

I let QCA lapse for a while, then I pick it up again. If you do a lot of shopping at Joann Fabrics, the discount card you get with QCA membership can pay the membership fee pretty quickly. (10% off your total purchase) After you've spent $300 at Joann in a year, it's like they're paying you to have the membership for the rest of the year - every time you shop at Joann, you get 10% off. :)

I really like having QNN-tv running - I tend to watch all the old Love of Quilting, Quilt in a Day and Quilting from the Heartland shows mainly to keep me company while I sew. Sometimes, I will go in search of a particular method, though and it's bound to be there on that site.

Navigating that site is a pain in the neck, but it costs so little - or even pays you to have it - that you just live with the poor site design and enjoy the videos.

I also loved The Quilting School - Linda V Taylor's site - for learning specific quilting techniques. Irena Bluhm's series on feathers was what helped turn on that light bulb and show me how to do feathers. Alice Wilhoit's series on needleturn applique was what demonstrated to me how to manage the fabric and actually handle the pieces. Most of the stuff on The Quilting School is translatable from long-arm to free-motion quilting on a domestic machine. The lessons are much more in-depth than a half-hour weekly tv series can manage.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I like it. I've had memberships for this one, The Quilt Show, Quilt University and The Quilting School and I like all of them.

I let QCA lapse for a while, then I pick it up again. If you do a lot of shopping at Joann Fabrics, the discount card you get with QCA membership can pay the membership fee pretty quickly. (10% off your total purchase) After you've spent $300 at Joann in a year, it's like they're paying you to have the membership for the rest of the year - every time you shop at Joann, you get 10% off. :)
I really like having QNN-tv running - I tend to watch all the old Love of Quilting, Quilt in a Day and Quilting from the Heartland shows mainly to keep me company while I sew. Sometimes, I will go in search of a particular method, though and it's bound to be there on that site.

Navigating that site is a pain in the neck, but it costs so little - or even pays you to have it - that you just live with the poor site design and enjoy the videos.

I also loved The Quilting School - Linda V Taylor's site - for learning specific quilting techniques. Irena Bluhm's series on feathers was what helped turn on that light bulb and show me how to do feathers. Alice Wilhoit's series on needleturn applique was what demonstrated to me how to manage the fabric and actually handle the pieces. Most of the stuff on The Quilting School is translatable from long-arm to free-motion quilting on a domestic machine. The lessons are much more in-depth than a half-hour weekly tv series can manage.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM

I liked it, but not enough to renew it. The fact that it included QNN quilt shows free is one good reason to have it, but if you aren't interested in those shows, not worth it as you can buy the subscription directly.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 AM

I used to pay 24 dollars a year for QnnTV but after a couple of years saw all the shows.
It is worth it for a beginner.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 AM

I think it all depends on what you want. I just renewed for another year and the price had dropped from 39.95 to 29.95. Big Bonus for me. I love getting the Quick Quilts magazine and the discount from Joanns. I don't really watch that many videos but for the difference in price, $24 for QNN.tv vs $30 for QCA, to me it's worth it.