Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Quilter's Frustration >

A Quilter's Frustration

A Quilter's Frustration

Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM

Default A Quilter's Frustration

Doesn't it seem like when you're most excited about starting a project something happens to derail or delay it? I placed a large fabric order for a very specific quilt. It took much longer than I expected for them to cut it , then the snow storm delayed shipping all the way out here to the west coast. Two plus weeks later I finally received the package , thrilled to dig in, and upon inspection I discover it's missing the largest cut background fabric. The one that makes it almost impossible to start without .

Luckily , it does not appear to be on backorder. It appears to just be a general error by the shipper which I am sure they will fix with me tomorrow.

Am I missing a sign somewhere telling me that perhaps this quilt is cursed ?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:52 PM

No, it's not cursed Good things take time, and that includes quilts When something like that happens to me, I just keep reminding myself about what a beauty it's going to be. I wish you the best of luck fixing the problem tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I have had this happen a couple times to me. But, aside from never buying a cut quilt kit again, I have had good luck with the fabric kits they sell for you to cut and make. Like connecting threads kits. They are great!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by riverandwoods View Post
Doesn't it seem like when you're most excited about starting a project something happens to derail or delay it? I placed a large fabric order for a very specific quilt. It took much longer than I expected for them to cut it , then the snow storm delayed shipping all the way out here to the west coast. Two plus weeks later I finally received the package , thrilled to dig in, and upon inspection I discover it's missing the largest cut background fabric. The one that makes it almost impossible to start without .

Luckily , it does not appear to be on backorder. It appears to just be a general error by the shipper which I am sure they will fix with me tomorrow.

Am I missing a sign somewhere telling me that perhaps this quilt is cursed ?
Maybe you will feel better if I tell you my story. The first time I bought a kit I was so excited. It is a Derrick Lockwood design. Lovely. When I got it I thought I would try out the pattern on some other fabric that I had . Practice makes perfect, right? I put the practice top together and it was fine and a learning experience. Then life got in the way. When I finally got around to the original again the bad thing became apparent. One of the fabrics is not there. Can't get it fixed because so much time has passed. So I have been looking for a replacement fabric and one of these days I will come across it. My tip is, if you buy a kit, check the contents right away, even if you can't start working on it right away.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 AM

My problem is that when I order fabric I forget what I had planned for it when it arrives.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like Murphy was having a field day. Just hang in there. All good things come in their own sweet time.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
My problem is that when I order fabric I forget what I had planned for it when it arrives.
I had this problem! I solved it by keeping a small spiral bound notebook with my ideas and plans in it. I have also begun to put in stitch length and widths I like for stitches I use a repeatedly on my sewing machine and serger. The measurements for my niece when I begin her clothing. She grows like a weed! And when I run out of notions or thread, fabric samples , ect for a shopping list.

I make notes on current project measurements as I go and just tear it out when I am finished and staple it to the pattern for future use. It has become a real life saver to me.