Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's Home magazine disappointing?????? >

Quilter's Home magazine disappointing??????

Quilter's Home magazine disappointing??????

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 AM
CRH

Originally Posted by jljack
I like Quilter's Newsletter for the coverage of international innovative quilts. I also like their patterns for more difficult quilts. I save them in the hopes of being able to do one of them in the not too distant future. I just need more practice to be able to do them....hopefully!!!

Quilter's Home was fun at the beginning, but not really my cup of tea, even before Mark left it. I didn't renew.
The Quilter's Newsletter has always been in my opinion a quite scholarly magazine, and had a lot of great information on technique, math formulas, etc. I have saved all of them, but haven't subscribed the last few years. Hmmmmm--time to look through them again. As I remember, a lot of their patterns used templates, I'll have to look at some new issues and see what they are doing these days.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 AM

A sad day in the quiting world,when Quilters Home lost Mark! I have every issue and met Mark a few times.
I will not be getting anymore magazines from that publisher. Mark brought a different pizzaz to his magazine,which was so much fun to read.
I hope he makes it with his fabric line and working with Olfray ribbons.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 AM
CRH

Originally Posted by 3incollege
A sad day in the quiting world,when Quilters Home lost Mark! I have every issue and met Mark a few times.
I will not be getting anymore magazines from that publisher. Mark brought a different pizzaz to his magazine,which was so much fun to read.
I hope he makes it with his fabric line and working with Olfray ribbons.
He just signed up for a year's worth of programs on QNN, so I think he'll be OK!!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Received my quilter's home mag today. It really is a disappointment. I so enjoyed looking forward to getting my issue each time. I would pour over the pages, read it from cover to cover. Then I didn't even realize that something was missing, but knew something was amiss. Then it dawned on me. Mark was missing. Guess I wasn't reading close enough :oops:

The new editors are trying. But it is kind of like when we were in school. No one can ever copy that really cool dude. You just don't know what it is that makes him so popular and so cool. He just has that "IT" factor. Well, Mark was that guy. Quilter's home is now suffering. It just feels like a bunch of wannabes, and it is falling way short.

Too bad I signed up for 2 years. I am hoping I can maybe get a refund. Just can't stand to read the wannabe's anymore.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Jackie
Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 AM

I dropped my subscription even before Mark left, it just wasn't for me. I really like Quilt Maker and have kept that sub.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by jljack
I like Quilter's Newsletter for the coverage of international innovative quilts. I also like their patterns for more difficult quilts. I save them in the hopes of being able to do one of them in the not too distant future. I just need more practice to be able to do them....hopefully!!!

Quilter's Home was fun at the beginning, but not really my cup of tea, even before Mark left it. I didn't renew.
I dropped my Quilter's Newsletter subscription and never subscribed to Quilter's Home for the same reason....when I buy a quilt magazine, I want to talk about quilting, not politics. Mark is such a crack-up, but as the issues went on, he got vitriolic in his politics. I so don't want to hear that. Politics is all we hear about on the news and quilting is my escape for a short time! I want the gossipy parts and the funny quilt stuff he is famous for. It got better the last year and then I was reading an issue of QH and said to myself, Mark is slipping on this one. Well, it wasn't even him! They were just trying to make it sound like it was him. Urgh. I don't buy it at all now. I guess I buy magazines for the articles and the updates on tools, techniques, and such.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 AM

I keep telling myself I have enough quilting magazines(I cannot seem to part with them either), but I continue to buy new ones. I just love to look at the quilts and project and dream of making them.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

VERY disapointed!!
What a waste of my money that could be used for the more important things, like rulers, thread and of course FABRIC!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mar32428
I have dropped all my quilting magazine subs because of that very reason. Too much advertising, too many non-relevant articles and not that many quilt patterns I want to try.
Me too. I got a call from Quilter's Newsletter with an offer "you just can't refuse..." and I told the nice young man that the reason I quit the mag was not the price but the fact that they changed format and I was displeased. He had little to say to that.