Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilters are the nicest people! >

quilters are the nicest people!

quilters are the nicest people!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Default quilters are the nicest people!

I went to Rosie's the other day (ginormous quilt store in San Diego) to find fabric for a quilt for my bed (suddenly a need since we decided to get new drapes with didn't match anything, then we had to paint because of it, now the bedding doesn't match). My method is to wander around, grabbing fabrics and making a big pile, walking away and sneaking up on it to see if I really like it. While I was doing this a woman asked if I was going to be using all of the fabric on the top of the pile and could she take some. She showed me what she was going to be working on, I showed her what I was hoping to make. Long story short, we spent a lot of time chatting and she had some wonderful ideas for my project and was that needed second set of eyes. She was like The Lone Ranger - riding in to help, making my day and then me asking "Who was that masked woman?"(or did they ask that about Zorro? - Anyway, you get my point!) There is someone out there that can't imagine how much I enjoyed our brief quilt-talk time together.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM

Yup! I've run into this scenario at my LQS's as well. Sometimes it just happens!! Spontaneous quilt help.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Quilters really are the nicest people!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

You meet another quilter and it's instant friendship.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM

It is true!! I went the the shop the other day - I've been stumped on what to use for a sashing and setting squares on a scrappy quilt -- Id tried everything I had at home. I pulled a couple of bolts of fabric and said in a loud voice - I'm looking for sashing and setting square fabric and would appreciate any and all help picking it out. There were people coming from all over the store - we all pulled and auditioned fabric! Finally I found what I needed. I love all the help I got!!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM

I love it when a stranger comes over to see what you are making! Quilters ARE the Best!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM

I agree totally! I went to a show in Jacksonville, FL this weekend. I lost my ticket and 2 yards of fabric (the bag ripped and I didn't know it) both items and the ticket were turned in to lost and found. In another booth I needed a batik to coordinate with a block, I had advice and complements all around. "We" decided which one was best and I love it. It was wonderful to be surrounded by helpful people.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM

I, too, have had this delightful occurrence! Much to my hubby's consternation. He can't imagine striking up a conversation with a random stranger! Men!?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 PM

I love talking to other quilters too! It's always so interesting to see what other people are working on.