Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

I am only 45, but my kids always call me Grandma when I quilt :shock: And I don't even have any Grandchildren :cry:
Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 PM

I'm 41. I don't think I like typing that out loud. :(

There would be more quilters under 40, if it were easier to quilt with kids around. Quilting takes a lot of little pieces in organized piles and there is nothing toddlers hate more than organized piles!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 PM

So far I am the 'old lady' here, 55 next b-day. I started crocheting, embroidering, and sewing all around 10. Crocheting has alway's been my thing until my ex boss, under 47, got me into quilting about 5 years ago, now. Used to love to watch my DGrandma & her 'old lady' friends quilt. They were old! :lol: :roll:

Forgot to say my DD, 33, has tried to quilt and has a better stash of fabric than I do and is continually buying more. I think she may have a fetish. She is also leaning towards better fabrics than I can afford right now.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Ageism and misogyny are rampant. Can't escape the stereotypes related to any craft.

I remember the granny comments back in my Montessori days. Yes, a 5 year old can be "so old lady!"

Even now, we're still seeing the "not your grandmother's" whatever.

The lesser known stereotype of the pseudo-hip-chick-obsessively-crafting-rather-than-creating-a-future-for-herself will have her day in the derision spotlight... Maybe... if there's a successful sitcom involved.

Are there any old lady stereotypes for "real" art or is it limited to the oft maligned art and crafts?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 PM

I'm over 40, but I started my first quilt in my early 20s in college. (It never got finished, but I would have continued if I'd found a class back then.)
Old 10-17-2009, 10:42 PM

I started at about 20, I am 41 now!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Hi girls, I feel I'm intruding on young airspace at 57 but I've been indulging in various crafts since my school days. I think the enjoyment of a craft whatever it may be, brings people together regardless of age.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM

OK, I confess, I'm 62 this past Aug & proud to just be alive. My grandchildren & their friends consider me the "ole' lady/grandma, etc." However, I resemble their remarks. I'm the one they bring their Prom dresses to to alter though. Had bilateral total knee replacements in July, so as body parts wear out, I'm gonna have them replaced & in a few years I'll be young again. That is if my brain still works, I'll tell them I can catch up with them in a few years.

Please tell your daughter that her Mom is still a Spring Chicken compared to some of us on the Board (whether they confess to their age is another thing). Good luck in convincing her.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 AM

*jumps up and down happily*

Me too! Me too!

LOL

I'll be 38 this Friday. When I go to our guild meeting my friends all say I've gone off to "old lady's class". Not sure if they mean it's a class full of old ladies, or a class learning to be an old lady! ;-)
Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
This is kind of funny. My oldest daughter (19) refers to this forum as "all your old lady friends". :D

And I'm 48. :lol:
That is too funny! :lol: