Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Aids From Funny Sources >

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM

*** Not for the sewing area, but a good recycle.
*** The local Animal Shelter wants clean, unlabled pill & other type bottles to dispense animal meds.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
The other day when I was organizing my sewing box I used a chopstick to store bobbins on

I oiled my machine with gun oil the other day because I don't have sewing machine oil

I hate ironing boards. I lay a thick towel on my "kitchen island" (non op portable dishwasher used as storage and prep area)
Interesting last name...any relation to Lucy and Desi?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:01 PM

I always thought there had to be a good use for all those test strip containers! Thanks Peggi
Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Almost donated an older organizer handbag. You know the ones that have the zipper part on the outside that makes it easy to put credit cards and id and all that good information. Those make the best go bags. You can turn them into carrying needles and small scissors. It's all in front. just attach felt to small old business size cards. The cards would fit into the card compartments and the felt would be laying on the outside. projects such as yo yos, hexies. piecing bags of thread could be on the inside. Kind of like a grown up busy bag. Could do with an old wallet also. put it back and zip it up.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

When Jim was working at the hospital, he came home one night with a printer that they were THROWING AWAY. He also had a stack of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Well I have used that paper for everything from making notes about quilts, to the stabilizer in back of my machine applique. I know this is not a great departure from its normal use, but I am very glad to have it for free. I need my money for fabric. :-)
Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM

I use Crystal Light tall container with lid to carry all my marking pens in my applique box. I use Altoid tins to store pins.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
I use Crystal Light tall container with lid to carry all my marking pens in my applique box. I use Altoid tins to store pins.
Me too, me too... I use Crystal Light containers for small traveling sewing/quilting kits. But Dresi's idea of using bamboo sticks to store bobbins on 'in' a Crystal Light container would be a great idea. There are so many different types of thread and I want to keep them separate.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 PM

I use Altoid tins to store rotary blades in and made for a label for the top of tins that say new and used, also one for exato blades. I use plastic bags a lot for fabric and I gave each daughter a baggie of left over from their quilts in case something happen and we could use the scraps to fix the quilt.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM

My name is just a stupid word joke. Dresden Plate was my first quilting project-I learned by watching an old man at a quilt show and I used to love "I Love Lucy" when I was younger.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I am a sucker for vintage planters, vases, refridgerator dishes, etc. I am always picking them up at flea markets, especially those with figures on them. I always try to find a use for them around the house so they won't just be dust collectors. Many have been put to use holding my quilting gadgets. They sit all around my sewing machine. The last one in the photo shows my vintage "girl" planter, which holds our sweet n' low packets in the kitchen!
Attached Thumbnails dsc01693.jpg   dsc01692.jpg   dsc01694.jpg