Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quilting - assembly line style or as you go?

There is no method to my quilting madness. It is whatever works at that time

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I am beginning 8 handbag/totes for a bride and 7 bridesmaids. I will do assembly line style. I have made one out of my fabric to be my sample and worked out any bugs before cutting into the fabric the bride gave me. By doing the assembly line style work, this will save me from changing feet, stitch size, and remembering any changes I made from the pattern. Kinda of fun to see everything lined up on the cutting table.

I like to finish one before starting another. Knowing how I am .... left unfinished for awhile ... well, that's the way it would stay, I'm sure!!! (just ask me HOW MANY knitting projects I have unfinished, because I started something else!!) lol

jody

Loving life in the sun ! With sunscreen on of course ...
    Myself: I prefer to cut em all up and assembly line sew them together, especially column quilts.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I have been making tops for my family. After I get them all made I will have them quilted.

I usually make quilts just for myself. I at this moment have three quilts ready to quilt but I can't quilt them myself because I have MS and it is hard for me to do. So I have to save the money to get them quilted. If I make a quilt for someone else they buy the fabric and pay to have it quilted. I will make small projects as gifts like wall hangings that I can quilt myself.

I make the quilt, sandwich it and quilt it right away, before starting the next one. I don't want to put it off and then lose it or get overwhelmed with a large stack to do. I like making each one unique, so try not to do the same thing over and over with my quilting. If I did a stack of them, I would be more apt to do that.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I have one in the quilt frames (I hand quilt) and one on the design board. Am thinking about the next one, but won't start it until I finish quilting and binding the one in the frame and the one on the design board goes into the frames. I work full time, so have to consider the limited time I have.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I usually have multiple projects going, but I prioritize them according to when I have to have them done. Just finished a baby quilt (needs bound), and I'm half finished with a Secret Santa project on another board. I have a queen quilt top that needs to be marked and put on the frame. There's a bargello half done on one side of my design wall and a graduation top for my oldest grandaughter all cut out and ready to be put together. There's a "me" top folded up and ready to be quilted when I finally find some time! It's all sure a lot of fun! Love it!!

QM
    I go both ways. I currently have a stack of about 5-10 flimsies. When I have a priority for something, I work it straight thru. I quilt on my home machine. In the past I have made a great many queen and king quilts. The last year, my shoulder has been giving me heck, so I have stopped quilting twin and above. I passed 3 charity twins on to a guild sister to quilt for me on the guild's LA. (I am too disabled to use it.) I am doing more and more QAYG these days. I get bored with a single project, so I tend to trade off between them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast