Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting from baby clothes... >

Quilting from baby clothes...

Quilting from baby clothes...

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 AM

I'd like to try and make my daughter a quilt from her baby clothes. I don't want to keep them but I don't want to sell them either ;) So I figure at least a blanket will make them useful.

Are there any suggestions out there for blocks that might work better than others? Colors aren't a problem as pretty well everything is shades of pinks.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 AM

A crazy quilt.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 AM

I did one but just kept it simple. 4" squares was the last one. Hexagons would look great too tho! I don't know how big your pieces are or how many you have.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:05 AM

The size of clothes would be a determining factor as to what size blocks you could get out of them. There are disappearing 4p & 9p that could work or even some stars. If you have access to EQ6 or 7 check the 9P out and the stars. You could even check out the 9p activity on the main page which has a lot of ideas there. I absolutely wouldn't rule out a crazy though especially if there's any lacework, rickrack, buttons, etc. that are cute or such on the clothing.

Good Luck and please let us know what you decide. I have boxes of clothes that I've saved from my son for a someday grandchild and wondering if I would like to do something like this instead.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 AM

I kept tiny dresses that my daughter had when she was a newborn. They were really pretty ones and I couldn't part with them... I gave them to her when her own daughter was born... Now they are really very special. My daughter and I have decided to take those beautiful tiny dresses and applique them down on pastel blocks. Leaving them pretty much intact if possible. (we will take off buttons or something that would scrach or hurt).. Then put the blocks together perhaps with shashing or not.. Depending on what looks best when we get to that point. The resulting blanket probably will be displayed hanging below a shelf with pictures of the girls in their dresses.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Since it is possible you will be working with different fabrics you might want to keep the block shape simple ... squares as opposed to wedges ...

Have fun :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

How about a snowball block with the fabric from the clothing in the middle.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM

My mother did one for my oldest that was a sunbonnet Sue. She designed the Sue to represent what I had sent her pictures of my daughter doing in all the dresses she had made for her. It's truly a keepsake.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM

The sizes are from 0-12 months, but I thought I'd also tie them in with Mummy and Daddy's clothes too so that I have some bigger pieces to work with. :)

Thanks so much for the ideas. I still haven't decided, but I will soon because I really want to start this and have it done by her birthday although knowing me...Christmas will come first :)