Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting from the back

Quilting from the back

I recently decided to use an all over stipple using my DSM. Because of the busyness of the fabric used in the blocks I couldn't keep up with the design. Therefore I decided to quilt it with the back face up. My tension looked great so I am very happy with the results. Would the "quilt police" approve? Is there something I need to know about NOT doing it this way?
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

I don't think anyone would know. Just keep it your secret.

Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Please become an organ donor
    It really does save lives, my husband is living proof.

You can do lots from the back. We bought extra bobbin holders to accommodate ribbon embroidery and other fancy stitching that was done from the back. You wound the ribbon/fancy yarn on the bobbin. If your quilting does better that way, go for it.

Quilting from the back was suggested by one of my quilting teachers. She recommended it when using a print on the backing and following the design for quilting.

Blog Entries
    I've heard of that being done before. and they actually have backing fabric with quilting designs on it for this method.

Blog Entries
    It's a great alternative and you can follow the pattern on the back of the fabric too if you want. The only thing I came across as a problem when I did it was that if the front is smaller than the back, the fabric can turn under without you seeing it. So if you plan to make it this way, you may want to make your outer border a little wider and trim it back when done.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I've heard of that being done before. and they actually have backing fabric with quilting designs on it for this method.
    where can I find that backing?....sounds like a great idea!....I did a quick search and didn't find any, but I may not be looking in the right places.

Blog Entries
    My local library has a book in the quilting section about quilting from the back. Sorry, I don't remember the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    where can I find that backing?....sounds like a great idea!....I did a quick search and didn't find any, but I may not be looking in the right places.
    Bernatex makes a couple wide fabric backing premarked and the lines supposedly wash out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast