Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Baptist Fan on Domestic >

Quilting Baptist Fan on Domestic

Quilting Baptist Fan on Domestic

Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Default Quilting Baptist Fan on Domestic

I'm thinking about quilting the Baptist Fan pattern with my Domestic Machine. I do not FMQ. (Not good enough yet for a real quilt). Everything I have quilted has been either outlined or Stitched-in-the Ditch or the embroidery feature has been used. Have any of you quilted the Baptist Fan with your domestic machine? And if so, how did you do it and how was the outcome? Thanks for your input!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:10 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If you make your 'fan' in a bit wider arc, you can still quilt it with your walking foot. Just adjust a bit as you go, and use a slower speed.

Meanwhile, here are some other straight line designs you might enjoy.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails walking-foot-design-ideas.jpg  
Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

The problem with trying to straight stitch Baptist Fans will be the constant turning of the quilt to change direction. You will probably be happier doing one of the designs Jan has posted.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 PM

I did this in a small area (border). It was a bit more than straight lines but is doable. Just stop and lift the pressure foot to adjust the quilt going around the curves every so often.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 PM

Thanks for your responses. I do have a feature on my machine that will lift the pressure foot up when I stop stitching and at the same time it keeps the needle in the down position, so it does help with stitching curves.

Jan, thanks for the straight line designs. I have been successful with cross hatch quilting, however, your designs are much more interesting.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 AM

Good luck with the Baptist fans! I love them and I'm in the same boat as you.
Jan, thank you for all the sound advice you offer here. It means a lot.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:16 AM

I just finished a quilt using this design in the border (quilt is a fan pattern) and did this FMQ. The pattern I used was a continuous line patten I found in a book I have had for some time. Since I don't/can't draw, I traced the pattern on my quilt before sewing. The border was relatively easy as I didn't have to wrestle the entire quilt under the machine.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I have done a Baptist fan on my Bernina 1530. Sad to say, I did it by FMQ. Try practicing on a sample sandwich. Hit a speed on the machine that you can match with the speed of which the machine feed the quilt thru. I found it easier to follow a line FMQ then trying to also decide in which direction to move.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM

I have not done baptist fan, but have done lots of walking foot designs because I am not good at FMQ. There are lots of ideas at petite design co, check out her 30 days of walking foot quilting!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone. Your answers do help me. The quilt I'd like to have this design on is as close to a postage stamp quilt I will ever do. Lots of little 9 patches made with 1 1/2" squares with a few 3 1/2 plain squares added here and there and also a few star blocks. The pattern I used is Star Patch by Marcie Patch. It's in the Dec. 2013 American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I made mine bigger to help use up those cute little 9 patches. It started out as a leader ender project and ended up taking over. Thanks again!