Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting a Batik Quilt and Tension Issues - Update at #16 >

Quilting a Batik Quilt and Tension Issues - Update at #16

Quilting a Batik Quilt and Tension Issues - Update at #16

Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Another few thoughts.

It may be that the upper thread is not feeding evenly. I assume you are using a good quality thread cover on the cone? (I have found that the soft ones from Superior Threads are really good.) Are you also using a thread stand such as this one by Superior Threads?
https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...thread-holder/

If you are using the thread stand, you can try folding a small piece of batting and inserting it into the round hole at the top of the thread stand. Your thread then flows not only through that hole, but inside the fold of that batting. Glide is very slippery thread, and that extra bit of tension added by the folded batting smooths out how it feeds to your machine. This is what I have done on my midarm setup, and it does help the thread tension of the Glide stay even as I quilt even when going faster or slower. This might also help keep the thread from jumping out of the tension discs.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Another few thoughts.

It may be that the upper thread is not feeding evenly. I assume you are using a good quality thread cover on the cone? (I have found that the soft ones from Superior Threads are really good.) Are you also using a thread stand such as this one by Superior Threads?
https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...thread-holder/

If you are using the thread stand, you can try folding a small piece of batting and inserting it into the round hole at the top of the thread stand. Your thread then flows not only through that hole, but inside the fold of that batting. Glide is very slippery thread, and that extra bit of tension added by the folded batting smooths out how it feeds to your machine. This is what I have done on my midarm setup, and it does help the thread tension of the Glide stay even as I quilt even when going faster or slower. This might also help keep the thread from jumping out of the tension discs.
Quick response....
I use those exact thread nets on my cones of thread and there is no slack in the thread between the thread stand on the machine and the thread guide before the tension discs. Tomorrow, I'm going to adjust the guide immediately above the tension discs to increase the angle on the path going to the tension discs and try that out. Secondly, I just placed an order for some Mega Genie Bobbin Washers to hopefully deal with the backlash issue. I will keep you posted! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Yes. An acquaintance of mine struggled mightily while trying to quilt a batik quilt. She is a Homesteader/SideSaddle dealer. She found that spraying silicone spray on the quilt helped tremendously.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 AM

i have not noticed any difference with my stitch quality on batiks.
i do use a bobbin genie . i put one shortly after i got my machine and since everything is going well, i have left it in.
i did recently have a frustrating stretch but found the culprit was my bobbin winder. i had played around with its tension but then watched an entire bobbin wind and discovered the thread popping out of the disc. then i had a dickens of a time getting the winders tension back again.
nice to see all of these solutions to try. it is good to have a full list of problem solvers to go to when things go wrong.
forgot to say that i am using a sweet sixteen sit down machine and every thread that takes my fancy but have not tried glide yet.

Last edited by coffeecozy; 02-06-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 PM

I have a Gammill Classic Plus and find on an all batik I need to not have it so tight on the frame rollers--but not sure how that translates to a sit-down, maybe using your suspension system to relieve the weight of the quilt? I have had problems with Glide not staying in the intermediate tensioner--usually a sock over the cone does the trick, but sometimes have had to do another loop around the tensioner. Good luck--nothing mroe discouraging that having stitch issues! You didn't say, but do you have a stitch regulator? I'm having some issues with mine and need to re-set the regulator "wheel"--it only shows up when I'm working from the back and going fast in one direction--something in your explanation reminded me of this and thought maybe it's the stitch regulator that's out of whack.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Quilting a Batik Quilt and Tension Issues -**UPDATE**

Hello and thank you to all of you that offered ideas, advice and personal experiences on my earlier post regarding tension issues etc. I've been having while trying to get my Batik quilt quilted on my HQ Sweet Sixteen. I just wanted to report back on where I'm at with it.

I was experiencing a problem with Glide thread I was using popping out of the upper tension discs intermittently, throwing off the tension, then snapping back in. I tried wrapping the thread twice around the tension discs as recommended by HQ, but still had inconsistent tension I thought perhaps caused by that. Today, I adjusted the last thread guide above the tension discs to increase the angle of the thread path going into the tension discs. My husband had suggested this and Prism99 had suggested an additional thread guide, which inspired me to take another look and listen to my husband's suggestion. It seems to have done the trick and I no longer need to wind the thread around twice. I've included a picture of that part of my machine to illustrate. The thread guide has a slot for the screw which allows for adjustment. It was set up with the guide positioned to the far right, the thread then went straight down into the tension discs, and with slippery thread and good opportunity to pop out. The picture shows where it is now, since adjusting it as far left as it would go. Funnily enough, when I discussed this with my neighbour and fellow Sweet Sixteen owner, she said that's where it is positioned on her machine. So mine had been set up differently. Who knew?!

Secondly, I have always had a big problem with bobbin backlash or over spin on my machine and have used the adjustment for the backlash spring to manage it fairly successfully until now. It is a real PITA for a few reasons, so I have heard/read about the bobbin genies for years being used to address this problem and have finally ordered some to try one out and hopefully put that to rest. I won't get them until next week, so I'll keep you posted on how that works for me. In the meantime, while stitching out test sandwiches trying to get the tension sorted using a new full bobbin, I finally had used up or pulled off about one third of the thread on it and the backlash settled down to the point I could actually back off the backlash spring, set my bobbin tension with my Towa gauge and was able to get a decent stitch as illustrated in the other two pics of the front and back of a section of my quilt where I stitched the cream thread on the cream fabric. YAY!!! Don't look too close, my stitching isn't perfect, but at this point I'm thrilled. Fingers crossed it will last and that the Bobbin Genie grants me my wish of banishing the backlash when it arrives 😉.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I have a Gammill Classic Plus and find on an all batik I need to not have it so tight on the frame rollers--but not sure how that translates to a sit-down, maybe using your suspension system to relieve the weight of the quilt? I have had problems with Glide not staying in the intermediate tensioner--usually a sock over the cone does the trick, but sometimes have had to do another loop around the tensioner. Good luck--nothing mroe discouraging that having stitch issues! You didn't say, but do you have a stitch regulator? I'm having some issues with mine and need to re-set the regulator "wheel"--it only shows up when I'm working from the back and going fast in one direction--something in your explanation reminded me of this and thought maybe it's the stitch regulator that's out of whack.
Hi, and thanks for your response! I don't have a stitch regulator, just me . I have a suspension set up, but don't use it always, as it isn't always better than just puddling the quilt, depending on the motifs etc. I've ordered my bobbin genies and praying they do the trick for me as far as the backlash goes, and adjusted my thread guide on the machine. I do use a thread net on my thread too. Ah, a never ending learning experience!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 PM

Glad you got the problem under control.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:15 AM

it must have been so upsetting to have tension issues messing up such a beautiful quilt. good to hear that you have resolved your tension headache :-) .
i headed right down to the sewing room to check mine and see that it is the same as in your picture. thank you for posting your picture.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Keep us posted on the bobbin issue!
What we can see so far of your quilt is just stunning. I hope you post a photo when completed.