Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with batiks >

Quilting with batiks

Quilting with batiks

Old 08-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Quilting with batiks

I'm a hand piecer and hand quilter. I read somewhere that it's difficult to hand quilt with batiks. Has anyone ever used batik for the quilt top and then used 100% cotton for the backing. Wonder if this would work better for hand quilting.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM

I've never hand pieced a batik quilt. I've machine pieced then handquilted a batik quilt. I used a cotton backing. It was still a little more difficult hand quilting thru the batik but it's doable. I think using batik for the backing may make it really difficult (just my humble opinion).
Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 PM

I've hand quilted a batik top with a muslin backing without difficulty. I wouldn't use my hand-quilting time on batik fabric where the quilting design wouldn't show. I've done machine and hand quilting go the same quilt. Don't tell the Quilt Police!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Unhappy

I am hand quilting a Pacific Rim Hawaiian quilt. I am having one heck of a time. After talking with Nancy Chong @ a quilt show I learned never put a batik backing on a batik quilt!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I have not hand pieced with batiks but I have hand quilted them with regular fabric for backing and have also used flannel backing. One I had a pieced backing that had a very small square of batik on the back as well. No problems but I do feel regular quilting cottons are easier to needle. Think the difference of room temperature butter vs butter straight out of the fridge. This is a bit extreme but it is much easier to spread room temp butter on to warm toast than it is cold. Both are quite doable, one just takes a wee bit more effort. Kind of the same with hand quilting batiks I do use batiks for hand applique and I love using them for applique, mostly for the color selections but they tend to not ravel very easily either which is very nice for needle turn and prepared hand applique. I use a Roxanne applique needle and silk thread for this and have no problems.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:01 AM

Have used batiks in quilt tops plenty. Don't recall using any for backing. Hand quilter as well and have never had issues with the batiks. Just make sure you're using a new, sharp needle and you should be fine.