Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting with bias outside edges >

quilting with bias outside edges

quilting with bias outside edges

Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 AM

Default quilting with bias outside edges

Hi, everyone -

I'm getting ready to straight-line quilt a top with 4-patches set on point. I'll be using a walking foot and a Juki 2010.

I'm planning to go on the diagonal from one side to the other. It sounds easy and fun, compared to the last thing I did, but I am worried about the edges. It was my first time with setting triangles and I ended up with the bias to the outside edge.

I thought about running a line of stitching through all 3 layers before starting, to shore them up a bit, but I'm worried about anchoring edges before the diagonal lines are in. Isn't there more movement in going diagonally?

I would be grateful for any suggestions you have. I am so worried about stretching it out of shape.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

If you are doing diagonal quilting and if the edges of the quilt are on the bias, then your quilting lines may be on the straight of grain? If so your diagonal quilting lines will be more stable. As for stitching the bias quilt sandwich edge, you might use really big stitches with your walking foot so if you need to remove the stitches you can easily.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 AM

I would anchor the outside edges with a long stitch and your walking foot before I did anything else. I also quilt with a Juki 2010 and use the walking foot a lot. I also just bought a stitch-in-the-ditch foot, and that works very well too, as long as I adjust the pressure on the presser foot with the big knob on the top left-hand side of the machine. Keep us posted.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are doing diagonal quilting and if the edges of the quilt are on the bias, then your quilting lines may be on the straight of grain? If so your diagonal quilting lines will be more stable. As for stitching the bias quilt sandwich edge, you might use really big stitches with your walking foot so if you need to remove the stitches you can easily.
Tartan, you're right about the grain! That should help.

(I also found out that I have 2 tops like this.)

I'll use big stitches on the edge.

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old 07-10-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
I would anchor the outside edges with a long stitch and your walking foot before I did anything else. I also quilt with a Juki 2010 and use the walking foot a lot. I also just bought a stitch-in-the-ditch foot, and that works very well too, as long as I adjust the pressure on the presser foot with the big knob on the top left-hand side of the machine. Keep us posted.
Thanks, Patricia. Should I reduce the pressure using the walking foot on the edge? This is only my second quilt with the Juki.

Charlotte
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM

In re to using the walking foot on your Juki, I just mine on for the first one yesterday and wow was it noisy then the machine stopped (scary). It seems I made a scratch on the arm that holds onto the needle screw. Can you help me w what I could've done wrong?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

If you wind up with bias edges on a quilt top, you would stabilize by running a row of stitches about 1/8" from the edge. Use a walking foot if you have one. This is commonly done as soon as the sandwich is complete. This is called stay stitching and is a common practice in garment construction.
When you attach a walking foot, be sure that you follow the manufacturer's instructions. Different machines, even by the same manufacturers will have a different way of attaching them. For instance, some have a bar that goes on top of the needle screw, and some go under. Also, be sure that you have the correct foot for your machine. This is one place where you are much better off paying the price to get the 'real deal' vs. a generic foot.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Just paying attention and taking notes.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Thanks, Patricia. Should I reduce the pressure using the walking foot on the edge? This is only my second quilt with the Juki.

Charlotte
Charlotte,

I usually have the little indicator at the third line from the top when using the walking foot.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I stabilize outside bias edges with featherweight interfacing fusible before I cut the blocks. It saves a lot of frustration later on. Eample: If I cut an X in a square. I put strips of interfacing making the X before cutting. I buy different widths of strips on a roll.