Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Board Objective >

Quilting Board Objective

Quilting Board Objective

Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 AM

Love the board as it is. I'm not great with the computer but I love seeing and reading what others do. It gives me ideas and if I don't like the topic I just don't open it. Maybe we should put more thought into our titles as we post.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:04 AM

Life changes and all of us have "remember whens". I admire Mytwopals for the dedication of reading every post. I sure can't do that. I admire all others comments that have been true but kind. Jumping into quilting way over my head, this Board has been my tutor & become my quilting family. Here I have obtained quilting knowledge,acquired great patterns, had the privilege of praying for many across the world in need of prayer and tried a recipe or two. In the 24 hrs. this post has been up, there have been some wise comments and suggestions because you all are and continue to be such helpful caring people. Hugs to you all.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
I speak as a relatively new participant, but that aside, I find this board to be an absolute slice of heaven for me. I left all my friends behind and moved across the country. I am getting up there in years and cannot just go out and find a new bunch of friends. Here, I have friends I'll never see, but can hear from. I have a reference library for so many things I might have questions about, there is always someone to reply and give me answers. I can come here and read what I want or ignore that which has no interest for me. I can do a search and immediately, there are threads that pertain to just what I want to know. I am sorry that this board has grown so much that you no longer feel at home but it has given me new life and for that, I am so greatful.
Ditto for me. It was the one thing besides my dog that I brought with me when I moved.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 AM

Love this board!!! :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2011, 04:09 AM

I personally enjoy the ones about the vintage sewing machine clean and repair. In my opinion this is a great help to our quilting. Because without the knowledge of cleaning and repairing our machines we would be in a pickle. I know, you say, then just take it to the shop. I say if we can do it our selves and save money as well as time then it is a great help to us. Just my opinion.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 AM

I copied and saved pieces of this thread, in particular the comments of Patrice and Charlee (Do move to the head of the class!)so that if I ever get tired of sifting through all the messages, I will know how to change my settings.
I think we should all keep in mind the words attributed to St. Francis --
"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can,
and wisdom to know the difference."
As human beans we're never going to make everyone perfect.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 AM

I can not imagine a real-life get together (such as quilting bee) where the people limited their conversation to one topic with no mention of anything else.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by mytwopals
Some may not agree with this message and I will probably get banned from this message board, but here goes anyway.

I joined this message board back in April 2009, when admittedly there were fewer of us here. Back then, it seemed nearly all the messages were quilting related. I've always tried to read each and every post daily in both the Main and Pictures sections. And tried to make appropriate comments, including assistance and encouragement.

Lately, I feel we've gotten away from this being a Quilter's Message Board. There seem to be too many posts with general sewing (Bow Tucks bags and clothing) and other hobbies (Antique sewing machine repair and needlepoint). I am finding it increasingly difficult to read all the posts now and am less inclined to do so, as I have no interest in these other activites. If I did, I would join a message board for those activities.

I sincerely feel, we need to get back to this message board's original purpose of quilting and eliminate many of the non-quilting related posts.
I don't think you will be banned for stating your opinion. I am sorry that you aren't enjoying the board as you once did. I am one of the guilty ones, as I have posted non-quilt pictures on this board.

Perhaps there are members that quilt and only quilt, but for many, our love of fabric spills over into other areas, such as home decor, handbags, and garment sewing. I really enjoy seeing the many different things our members sew.

The solution might be for all of us to really make an effort to put our posts under the correct catagory, and to title them more decriptively so all of us can read the posts that are of most interest.
I agree. I do enjoy more sewing activities than just quilting so I like reading about others experiences in sewing. If I'm short on time, I just pick and choose the posts I want to read and forget about the rest.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:19 AM

i like chit-chat and recipes.

the seperate sections are great.

i do notice "looking for fabric" or other subject lines posted in the main section,or introduce yourself section..when it really should be in the classified.
i have pm'd people to change thier subject line,and put it in the correct section, so they can get better help for what they are looking for..i really want they to find what they are looking for!

i belong to another board that does not allow off topic at all. all quilting/sewing related only. the owner operator deletes off topic. no fun. but i know the rules.

everyone is entitled to thier opinion ideas..i respect your right to voice that opinion!

My only complaint?
i can't walk across the street to visit or help you with a project!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by mytwopals
Some may not agree with this message and I will probably get banned from this message board, but here goes anyway.

I joined this message board back in April 2009, when admittedly there were fewer of us here. Back then, it seemed nearly all the messages were quilting related. I've always tried to read each and every post daily in both the Main and Pictures sections. And tried to make appropriate comments, including assistance and encouragement.

Lately, I feel we've gotten away from this being a Quilter's Message Board. There seem to be too many posts with general sewing (Bow Tucks bags and clothing) and other hobbies (Antique sewing machine repair and needlepoint). I am finding it increasingly difficult to read all the posts now and am less inclined to do so, as I have no interest in these other activites. If I did, I would join a message board for those activities.

I sincerely feel, we need to get back to this message board's original purpose of quilting and eliminate many of the non-quilting related posts.
I don't think you will be banned for stating your opinion. I am sorry that you aren't enjoying the board as you once did. I am one of the guilty ones, as I have posted non-quilt pictures on this board.

Perhaps there are members that quilt and only quilt, but for many, our love of fabric spills over into other areas, such as home decor, handbags, and garment sewing. I really enjoy seeing the many different things our members sew.

The solution might be for all of us to really make an effort to put our posts under the correct catagory, and to title them more decriptively so all of us can read the posts that are of most interest.
I agree. I stopped reading for a while because it was absorbing so much time but I missed all the great tips and seeing the cool projects everyone is working on. I sew and quilt - and making bags / purses that are "quilted" I think should qualify. I sometimes need to do something else besides making a big quilt so I make a bag that's quilted.

As others have mentioned, I just read things that are interesting to me but I think there's a need to know where to get help if I purchased an antique machine but haven't a clue about having it serviced.

Venting is also welcome here as long as its done without profanity (I'm sure) so vent away. As quilters, we need that sometimes.

This is a huge site compared to when I joined too but I still enjoy it and have picked up quite a few tips.