Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Borders

I desperately need help with quilting my borders. I have managed to do the body of the quilt but have 3 borders. I am no good at stippling cause I can't get the stitches the same size and have no idea what to do. I have tried using a quilting foot, walking foot and still can't get it to look right. HELP!

Blog Entries
    Can you post a picture of them and the quilt? :D:D:D

Sometimes you don't need to, or may be able to stitch in the ditch if farther than batting recommendation. JMO :)

For my beginner efforts I either run a straight or zigzag stitch down the middle of the border or put a line about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from each seam - depends on how big the border is.

I saw a border quilted with a large serpentine design. There were 2-3 wavy lines along the length of the borders, just randomly stitched. And some of them overlapped. I thought it was a nice random border design and plan to try it using my walking foot. Don't know if this is very helpful. It looked better than my description sounds.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Can you draw a simple design then quilt over it- following your marks??

QM
    I have 4 basic patterns I generally use in borders, although I do use others. The easiest is stars. These are just like what your primary teacher may have used on your papers, with short connecting lines.

I also do vines with leaves, which is much easier than it sounds, serpentine feathers and ocean waves. I do all of these with an embroidery foot. Try it first on a potholder, not your precious quilt. It varies with machines, but you will probably have to lower or cover your feed dogs then drop your stitch length to zero (YOU will be determining the actual stitch length.) Do not try to go fast.

I found out early on that just SID on borders generally results in a wobbly border, as the border will be longer than the body. If you want to do only straight stitcing, I suggest that some of the stitching go across the borders.