Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and camping - any tips? >

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:08 PM

I lived in an RV for 3 years when I was taking care of my FIL. I kicked one of the easy chairs to the curb and set up a card table I'd had a friend fix up so my machine sat down in it. Kicked the TV to the curb and had a huge open space left. Had 4 corner boards (legs) cut and a shelf board so I then had two really nice shelving units shelves. Nails in the wall above the sewing machine for rulers.

All that is behind me now, and my new love is my hand crank I take when Rob goes fishing. W/base, about 13 pounds
Attached Thumbnails bel-air.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 PM

We had a 32 ft. Bounder and I put fabric in boxes with handles and slipped them under couch for storage and sewing machine under bed and sewed on a fold up table or right on table inside of motorhome and loved it. Meant a lot of gals on the road that quilted also. Have fun!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:57 PM

Every Monday night in the summer, we take lawn chairs to a local park and listen to live music in the band shell. Parking is limited, so we go early and I often take a quilt along and work on the binding while we wait. Great ice breaker because people stop and comment the project.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:41 AM

We have a motorhome and travel for 3+ mos every summer and yes I take my sewing machine, sewing basket, cutting mat fabric etc with me all the time. Hubby even explores quilt shops with me. Not a problem to quilt on the go. Happybtravels
Old 09-26-2015, 04:28 AM

I camp in a Truck camper with a slide and have brought my sewing machine with me. I pack the machine,small cutting board, needed tools, small iron and mat and fabric in a laundry basket. Do to space this in the truck when not in use. I also bring a small basket I keep by the bed with hand work. There is no room for a extra table in the camper but there is always the picnic table on good days.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:26 AM

We RV fulltime and I have my sewing machine and lots of fabric (and buy at every darn quilt store I can get hubby to stop at!!!).....We BOONDOCK (dry camp) and I STILL use my sewing machine! The trick is to have plenty of batteries in the rig (we have 6), a 2800 watt inverter and 2 solar panels. Also have 2 generators for backup (need it if it's hot to run the A/C). Yeah, take your sewing machine and ENJOY!!!!