Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and camping - any tips? >

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Purchase a RV or camper with a generator. That way you can quilt in the boonies if you want. When you run the RV/camper engine it should recharge your batteries and you can run off those too if you want. We have an old RV and I can sew and quilt as much as I like because of those accommodations.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM

We have a small 25 ft motorhome, and you ladies have given me some great ideas! We travel NC to Oregon a couple times a year and those make for LONG days driving. I think I will take my macine on the next trip.
hmmm...now if I can find a 12volt sewing machine, I can sew going down the road! :-)
Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Camping, quilting and fishing. Life doesn't get much better.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 PM

I've done this for 8 yrs. I take projects that have been cut out, that way, I can sew. I also take a small Janome but last time took my good Bernina but have a power protector. I always take quilt blocks to embroider & have several projects going. I like to sew more than anything. I've also have sewed w/a generator. Doesn't use that much gas. If I'm happy, then everyones happy!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Don't they make little ity bity "personal" generators?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 AM

KarylMic you don't need a special sewing machine. Your motor home should have a converter that converts your battery/generator to regular voltage.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Get an inverter. I use one for my computer as we travel. Would probially work on a machine also. lol. I never travel without my machine. I also embroider inserts for quilts for grandchildren
Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 AM

I don't use the generator unless we're dry-docked. We have a big gen. & 2 small Honda's. One of the Honda' was enough to sew for quite a few hrs. We bought a 40' toy hauler last year so the back rm was to be my quilt rm. on the road. I share w/all the stuff that that can't go in the basement & also the dogs. :)
Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Sounds perfect. I was wondering how everything went together in a toyhauler. This was the idea my husband had come up with and can sort of visualize. I assume every toyhauler might have a different setup so would be a little different for each one.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 AM

I have been spending winters in our 38 foot motor home for 5 years. For the first few, I brought along as much of my "stash" as would fit, then did projects on the road. Last year, I pre-cut them, and put them into project boxes, which would have been great...If I had included extra instructions! LOL Now, I photocopy the finished project, along with instructions so I don't forget! Taking UFO's has not worked for me, as it takes too long to remember where I left off! This year will be 2 project boxes, and if I finish them, oh well....it will be off to whatever fabric store I can find and start a new project...Every place has something different, and that is fun.