Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting cruise or Out-of-State Retreat... >

Quilting cruise or Out-of-State Retreat...

Quilting cruise or Out-of-State Retreat...

Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Has anyone been on a quilting cruise? Worth the expense?

What about a retreat out of your home town or state?

Did you feel like a fifth wheel, if everyone else knew each other?

Just wondering...
Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 PM

I'm wondering too. A quilt cruise might be fun but I don't really have anyone to go with. I kind of assume that women would most likely go with a group or a friend.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm new to quilting but someone mentioned the cruise for the summer with Eleanor Burnes and I looked it up. It actually looked like fun. I seriously thought about it as a little treat for myself as a "reward" for quitting smoking (will be a year in March). My only concern is that I love to be IN THE WATER like diving or snorkling so I wonder how I would feel being on the water all the time but not taking a dip every morning.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM

I've just returned from the Fons and Porter quilting cruise. Met a lot of very, VERY nice people! Never felt alone or like a fifth wheel. Quite a few of the quilters roomed with other quilters they'd never met. I knew three of the 105 quilters before the cruise. Not sure it was $900 worth of quilting...But much fun nonetheless! And some beautiful quilts in process!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
pab

Congratulations on your quitting smoking. Treat yourself to the cruise.I did one cruise and met many new friends who still keep in touch Merry Christmas. pab
Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM

I love quilting and I love cruising...but I'm thinking I prefer to bask in the sun while cruising and enjoy the night life too.

Whereas when I quilt, I don't like to do anything else.

I almost did a retreat, but backed out at the last minute because I didn't know anything personally....probably should have just went and had a blast!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
I'm new to quilting but someone mentioned the cruise for the summer with Eleanor Burnes and I looked it up. It actually looked like fun. I seriously thought about it as a little treat for myself as a "reward" for quitting smoking (will be a year in March). My only concern is that I love to be IN THE WATER like diving or snorkling so I wonder how I would feel being on the water all the time but not taking a dip every morning.
Ships have pools you know! And, depending on the destination, you may have a day or 1/2 day at a beach. Don't let that stop you!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 PM

As a former military wife who moved every year or two, I got pretty used to being 'the new girl in town'. I don't find it incredibly easy not knowing anybody in a given situation, but when you have a point of reference in common (in this case quilting) then it isn't all that hard to get to know people and carry on a conversation with them.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM

I thought about them - but - my husband and I go almost everywhere together on something like that. We've been on 3 cruises and I loved everyone of them. Think I would prefer a quilt camp, which I did for a couple of years in a row. Loved that, too, and it wasn't that far from home.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Ohh....tell us more about quilt camp :D

Originally Posted by Dodee
I thought about them - but - my husband and I go almost everywhere together on something like that. We've been on 3 cruises and I loved everyone of them. Think I would prefer a quilt camp, which I did for a couple of years in a row. Loved that, too, and it wasn't that far from home.