Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting For Dummies 101 >

Quilting For Dummies 101

Quilting For Dummies 101

Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 AM

Default Quilting For Dummies 101

Wouldn't it be nice if there was(and just might be) some of the expert quilters willing to sell their services to this dummy quilter or anyone by drawing a diagram on how to quilt a specific quilt? I look at my Craftsy classes and youtube tutorials and then when I start to quilt I am still totally confused, told you I am dumb. Like my Prarie Peony and Dresden plate, after all the suggestions I still can't visualize any one design. I am thinking just a rough sketch. I don't mean a template or anything that requires a lot of work. Don't think I am asking for one, just thought it might be something someone might profit from. Just saying.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 AM

You may want to get a piece of clear vinyl and use that overtop your quilt tops to audition design ideas with a dry erasable marker. Make sure there aren't any holes in the vinyl, and apply colored tape over all the edges so you don't accidentally draw off the vinyl onto the quilt top. Helps to visualize the choices you have in mind.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I do either a straight line quilting about 1/4" or more from the seams. Or I do a large stipple, which is my favorite. I do like the fancy quilting for my quilts.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

if you are seeking to buy an item/service from another member, you can always post a thread in the In Search Of forum.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Many magazines/books now show and explain how to quilt the designs in their books. I guess that is where the practice, practice, practice comes in. We start with the "simple" quilting and as we gain confidence we can visualize different designs in the same pattern.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM

I agree that you might want to use a piece of clear vinyl or plastic food wrap to audition different designs. Haven't done this yet myself but probably will once I get to my NY Beauty. I've had that thing done for 2-3 years now and it's still not 'speaking' to me as to how to hand quilt it!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM

On my quilts I do on my HQ I use the Golden Threads preview paper - which is a vinyl with big black borders on the sides so I won't draw on the quilt.

If you use vinyl you might want to put painters tape around the edges so you don't mark on your quilt. You could try permanent marker and see if it erases with alcohol. The dry erase markers have a tendency to smear when you go over their markings with parts of your body, like hands or arms.