Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting fabric containing metallic thread. >

Quilting fabric containing metallic thread.

Quilting fabric containing metallic thread.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Thanks Bree. I was wondering how you would use the Sewer's Aid. I saw a video where the thread passes through some kind of applicator that you fix on to the top of the machine. Running a bead across the spool sounds easier!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:24 AM

I've used Aurifil cotton to quilt metallic fabric with no problems. The metallic needle is for use for sewing with metallic thread in your machine, not to help with the fabric on metallic fabric.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I think on some metallic prints i used rayon thread to give it more sparkle. metallic threads are difficult enough and the metallic prints may give some problems. Hope you figured it out.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Seems like most of the fabric I'm used with metallic in the design have been almost like a painted on metallic. I've had no problem with most--I did have one that seemed to be particularly heavy and cause some problem. Think just slowing down helped. also, I was using a #50 weight thread.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:18 AM

Even though I am not quilting my project with metallic thread, I put in a "metallic" needle, because I had some on hand, and they do have a larger eye to prevent fraying of delicate metallic threads. I figured it might work with my very fine 100 wt polyester thread.

I find that by changing my needle about every two hours, and loosening top tension A LOT, I am getting less thread breakage. I'll be able to finish my 15 blocks that have the metallic fabric.

If I ever do work with metallic fabric again, I would definitely choose another thread, probably 50 wt cotton.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. So much knowledge and experience out there ...
Old 03-27-2016, 06:08 AM

Change your 100 weight thread. It sounds like the problem.....it is half the weight of your bobbin, so very thin..could be the metallic thread in you fabric is damaging your 100 wt...jut a thought.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:31 AM

I just saw an article that suggested putting a small piece of mole skin on your machine just above the needle. They put sewers aid on the mole skin so the thread would run across it right before it goes thru the needle. The also suggested trying a topstitch needle if the metallic needle wasn't working. This was for sewing with metallic thread. I haven't tried it yet but it could help. I have also seen people suggest quilting with a denim needle. Good luck
Also did you recently break a needle? Is there a small nick on your throat plate? If so get some really fine sandpaper and remove the burr.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:24 AM

You could try using a larger needle. I use a 90/14 for metallic threads because they make a bigger hole in the fabric for the thread to go through. It might help with your fabric with metallic threads in it.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:33 PM

I agree about using Sewer's aid. You just, as Bree said, run a single line of Sewer's Aid across the thread. It soaks in and lubricates the thread as you sew. Let us know what works for you.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 AM

I agree with Lady Diana. I think the 100 wt thread is a problem with metallic fabric. I would never use it again with that type of fabric.

I had started out with a topstitch needle, size 14, but the thread still frayed and broke. I only had size 12 metallic needles so I tried that. The combination of the size 12 metallic and very loose top tension worked and I was able to complete the 15 blocks with metallic fabric.

I am now quilting the rest of the quilt, which is cotton with no metallic fibers, with 50 wt cotton top and bottom, with a size 14 quilting needle. What a difference, beautiful stitches, perfect tension!

I will definitely get some Sewer's Aid, and keep it on hand.

Again, thanks for all the good advice!