Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting fabric containing metallic thread. >

Quilting fabric containing metallic thread.

Quilting fabric containing metallic thread.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:02 AM

Default Quilting fabric containing metallic thread.

I am quilting a project where some of the blocks have cotton fabric with metallic thread. I am using polyester 100 wt in the needle and cotton 50 wt in the bobbin. I have used this combination with success before on plain cotton. I reduced the top tension and used a topstitch needle, and had no problems whatsoever.

On the cotton/metallic fabric, the thread is fraying and breaking. Not all the time, but often enough to make it annoying. I changed my needle to a "metallic" one and this helped somewhat. These needles have a larger eye to prevent the fraying of more fragile metallic threads.

I can't help thinking that it is the metallic element in the fabric that is causing the problem. I don't think I will ever machine-quilt that type of fabric again. But in the meantime, I still have six 12-inch blocks to quilt!

I am using the polyester 100 wt thread in the needle because it sinks into the fabric, and I can use the same thread on all my blocks without changing colors.

I'd certainly like to hear from any of you who have used "metallic" fabrics. Did you encounter similar problems, and did you figure out any solutions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:30 AM

I'm afraid I'm not much help, because though I buy and use a ton of metallic accented fabrics, I've never had any problem because of them. I used a regular 80/12 quilting needle with 40wt cotton thread in the top and bobbin. I had significant trouble with my last quilt because I was in a hurry and couldn't wait for the elmer's to dry, so I spray basted instead and that caused so much gunk on my needle and I broke threads constantly. Horrible. Did you change anything about how you basted? What are you using on the back?

As I reread your post again, do you mean that the actual metallic portion of the fabric you're quilting is breaking? On first read, I thought you meant the top thread was breaking.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Like SEphie, I'm also a little confused. Is it the thread or the fabric that is giving you problems?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:55 AM

I'm with the others. I've quilted fabrics with metallic in them with 50/2 Aurifil cotton thread in top & bobbin with a 70/10 Microtex needle (same as usual) and didn't ever have any issues.

I almost never use poly thread so I don't know if you can apply thread conditioner to it, but maybe that would help??? I'd go with a 90/14 Microtex/Sharp needle & thread conditioner. The other things I'd try is skipping that last hook right by the needle and changing the direction of the spool pin (one thing at a time, of course). Oh, and probably before all of that, I'd make sure to floss my thread run maybe 3x & give my bobbin case a good cleaning & oiling.

PS -- I re-read your post & now am not sure I answered right. I'm assuming that it's your poly thread on top that's fraying. If that's not the case, ignore everything I wrote.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:00 AM

At one time you could buy imported cottons that had a metallic thread running through them I think most were from India.

Piercing a metallic thread would probably leave a jagged edge which would fray fabric - I haven't seen any of these in over 30 years.

If the fabric is imported and used for special type garments like a sari or scarf, I'd see if I could find any hints about sewing and embroidery from the nation that produced them.

Otherwise - minimum quilting and more of the STID type straight line
Old 03-25-2016, 06:15 AM

Sorry about the confusion. It is the 100 wt polyester thread in the needle that is fraying and breaking. There is no damage to the fabric itself.

I did floss the thread run and clean and oil the machine.

Since I had already used the combination of 100 wt polyester in the needle and 50 wt cotton in the bobbin to quilt plain cotton with no problem,I was wondering whether it could be the metallic element in the fabric that is fraying the needle thread. The 100 wt polyester thread is very, very fine.

By the way, thanks to all of your for taking the time to reply.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

​I wonder if using thread magic on your top thread might help.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:17 AM

Have you tried sewer's aid on the top thread?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 AM

I have never had to use thread magic of sewer's aid before. I'll have to look into it.

I might also change my top thread to smoke invisible thread (nylon). I've had success with that in the past. My metallic fabrics are mostly dark colored.

I also note that Microtex/Sharp needles have been mentioned. I'll have to get some of those ...

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
I have never had to use thread magic of sewer's aid before. I'll have to look into it.

I might also change my top thread to smoke invisible thread (nylon). I've had success with that in the past. My metallic fabrics are mostly dark colored.

I also note that Microtex/Sharp needles have been mentioned. I'll have to get some of those ...

Thanks again!
It would make sense that you might need thread conditioner only with metallic cottons. Typically the poly thread would be equal to or stronger than the cotton fibers in the fabric. But metallic fibers are a rougher texture & with such fine poly thread, it's possible it's rubbing against it more than usual and that's what's contributing to the shredding. I do notice a slight difference in metallic vs standard cotton when doing handwork and thread conditioner definitely helps. It's fairly inexpensive & one bottle will last you through many, many quilts. You just run a single bead of the Sewer's Aid across the spool each day before you start sewing.