Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting with fashion fabric? >

quilting with fashion fabric?

quilting with fashion fabric?

Old 11-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Default quilting with fashion fabric?

Just thought I'd toss this question out there. Do you or can you quilt with fashion fabrics? I have a bunch of scrap pieces of fabrics left over from making clothing, mainly knits and polyesters. Can you use these to quilt with? I hate to see any fabric go to waste, so I'm trying to find a creative way to use them. I imagine the flimsier fabrics would need to be heavily starched or interfaced to work with. Any thoughts?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:03 PM

Sure you can use anything. T-shirts are knit. Polyester will make a warm quilt that will never wear out. It all depends on how you will be using a quilt and what kind of care it will need
Old 11-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Sure you can! You can make a quilt out of anything you can sew through. I still have some quilts my grandmother made me from old double knit fabrics! Use silks, corduroys, wools, polyesters, etc. just watch your iron setting if you use polyesters, silks etc!
Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Of course. Fabrics of all kinds can be used, especially in a crazy quilt. As you mentioned use a light weight fusible interfacing on anything really delicate or loosely woven.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:19 PM

In the 70's we made lots of quilts out of double knit polyester, they were tied, Ugly, but useable.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Of course you can. Some fabrics may need stabilizer (silk, t-shirts, some rayons and some poly). If you are using something that can't be washed, you should use it in a wall hanging or something that won't be washed. I have used home dec in quilts. I have used silk and silky poly in quilted pillow covers (left over from DMIL's clothes). I have also used ultra suede (also clothing scraps) in quilts.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Go for it!
I personally like to keep the heavier fabrics in one quilt and the flimsier in a separate one just because in general it's easier to work with that way.
Although you could have a really pretty cathedral window one using the heavier fabrics for the "frames" and the flimsy for the windows.
Have fun and show us pictures when you get done!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:27 PM

I personally hated sewing w/ knits but was easier w/a serger but sold it and my embroidery machine to focus soley on quilting w/a newer machine specifically for quilting.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 PM

I have a double knit quilt my Mom made for me right after I got married almost 52 years ago. It's been washed 100s of times and still looks great.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I too personally hate sewing with knits that are heavier than t-shirts. Why not make some pets beds for you local animal shelter or rescue group?