Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting with Flannel

I'd like to do a quilt all in flannel from the Connecting Threads line Sunny Day.

Is there anything different I need to do when using flannel rather than cotton? I don't normally prewash, do I need to for flannel? Can I still use Hobbs fusible batting?

Thanks!!!

Blog Entries
    Flannel can shrink a lot, I would always prewash it :D:D:D

It shrinks a lot and not necessarily the same amount top to bottom as it does across. It will also be much easier to cut & sew if you starch it. It gets very floppy and slippery if you don't starch it--even the good heavy flannel. Be aware that it will leave lots of fuzz behind so you will need to clean the bobbin and needle takeup area often.

I make lots of flannel quilts and I don't prewash. My flannel is from LQS and when I wash it it gets puckery just like other fabrics. It is not washed frequently. I have never used the fusable batting, just Warm and Natural. The fabric that you are using is really pretty and should make a lovely quilt for spring.

I'm not a prewasher - but when it comes to flannels , I ALWAYS prewash and dry , using the dryer until it is completely dry. The shrinkage can be substantial.

Good question I wondered the same.

Be sure to clean your bobbin area. Flannel is very messy. I don't think I prewashed my first rag quilt and it was fine in and out of the w/d. Have fun!

DO prewash. Sometimes different flannels shrink at different rates and really need the prewash so that you don't end up with some smooth blocks and some puckery ones.

Blog Entries
    I don't prewash for a rag quilt, but I prewash flannel for a regular quilt. I also only do flannel quilts that are simple type patterns, but that is just me. I did a baby Trip Around the World and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    I make lots of flannel quilts and I don't prewash. My flannel is from LQS and when I wash it it gets puckery just like other fabrics. It is not washed frequently. I have never used the fusable batting, just Warm and Natural. The fabric that you are using is really pretty and should make a lovely quilt for spring.

Cherylynne, I have a bunch of Moda flannel homespuns that I bought at least 15+ years ago and they are all fat quarters. Normally I wash all flannel yardage but am scared to death of washing these fats for fear of unraveling. By what you're saying I should be fine without washing them. When I ever make/finish this quilt do I just wash as I do all my other quilts? Will they all shrink the same...I use Quilters Dream batting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone's opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast