Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting frame, quilting hoop or not

Just finished hand quilting my first quilt. Husband bought me a frame, but couldn't seem to get the hang of stitches that were at least even. In one of the "how to" books that one of you recommended, read that there are 3 methods of hand quilting--frame quilting, hoop quilting and lap quilting. Tried the lap quilting on the border and it's great for me. Will still use the frame to hold the quilt and keep it off the floor. Now, the quilting is fun!

sara in nc

Blog Entries
    I'm with you! I simply could not stitch in a large hoop, smaller hoops were just that, too small, so I did all mine on my lap. I do have a square PVC piping frame that helps with the weight.

Blog Entries
    It is just a matter of trial and error and see what works best for you :wink: Glad you found one that works for you :thumbup:

I have a nice PVC frame, used it quite a bit, learned to machine quilt and would never go back. My aim is to make lots of quilts and use up my fabrics and try patterns I always wanted to do. Have arthritic fingers and turning 65 very soon, my stitches weren't any better than the machine stitches and since I may not live forever machine quilting is what I want to do. I can make a large quilt start to finish in 2 - 3 weeks. Handquilting always took me 2-3 yrs. couldn't make many at that rate. I want to leave some quilts for Grndkids when the are grown and for future GreatGrands.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I'm with you! I simply could not stitch in a large hoop, smaller hoops were just that, too small, so I did all mine on my lap. I do have a square PVC piping frame that helps with the weight.
    Glad to know someone else can't quilt on a frame or hoop. My frame is also PVC pipe so will use it to hold the weight, etc.

sara in nc

I'm taking a BOM class that is all hand pieced and hand quilting. It's a quilt as you go project. In April we all got frames to practice our handquilting on. I tried for three weeks to use that thing and just couldn't do it. My hands would cramp up and my stitches looked awful. Finally called the instructor and she said I could lap quilt it. Now I'm having fun and the quilting looks much better. With the frame I wasn't having fun, was just stressed out and having fun is what quilting is all about isn't it! Enjoy yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by JHolm
    I'm taking a BOM class that is all hand pieced and hand quilting. It's a quilt as you go project. In April we all got frames to practice our handquilting on. I tried for three weeks to use that thing and just couldn't do it. My hands would cramp up and my stitches looked awful. Finally called the instructor and she said I could lap quilt it. Now I'm having fun and the quilting looks much better. With the frame I wasn't having fun, was just stressed out and having fun is what quilting is all about isn't it! Enjoy yourself!
    Thanks! glad to know someone else couldn't do it!

Blog Entries
    I am happy to hear that you found a way that works for you :D:D:D

That's exactly why there are soo many ways of doing things! What may say work for me, will not necessarily be the best for you. Glad you found what works best for you!!

Enjoy!!! :-D :-D

I'm with you-lap quilting works best for me. I'd use the frame like you are, just for support. I lower my ironing board and use that to support the weight of the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast