Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting frame >

quilting frame

quilting frame

Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 AM

Default quilting frame

hello,
I need some advice. I'm trying to make queen size quilts for christmas gifts, i have made 2 already, but I am looking for an inexpensive quilting frame. I use clips right now but that gets old having to unroll then roll and repeat. I have 1/2 a bedroom as my sewing room so nothing too big. I was looking at the Flynn quilting frame but it has mixed reviews. Opinions?
thank in advance
Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

You are machine quilting? My advice is to stop rolling and don't use clips! Accordion pleating is a much more effective method of moving the quilt under the arm of the machine. Just loosely accordion pleat the quilt under the arm. You still need to adjust the quilt frequently but you don't have a stiff roll to contend with and no clips.

Some people do well with the Flynn frame but there is quite a learning curve associated with it and many quilters end up not using theirs. I would get a suspension system instead, such as the Jennoop.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Ok I'll try that...what is the Jennoop?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I machine quilted in sections before getting a longarm, so that's one option. I agree with Prism about not rolling the quilt. Accordion folding or "puddling" works better for most people. The Flynn frame works great on small quilts, but you don't need it on small quilts. On bigger quilts it can work, but it takes a lot of room and a lot of practice. I used mine once to baste a quilt with water soluble thread and then sold it.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Wow..ok..really don't have room or money for long arm right now..trying to find something a lil smaller and under $400 if I can..thanks
Old 10-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I quilted many queen size quilts on my Bernina. I met John Flynn and saw his demo but I knew it wasn't going to work for me. I never used any frame when I quilt, but the trick to good quilting is adequate support on my left side and behind my machine. I quilt from the center out. That is one reason I like to do crosshatching.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to the Jennoop, and a link to a Youtube video that demonstrates it:
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJGph8am6BE

If you do a search on the QB, you will find some threads that talk about it. Every post I have seen from someone who has used it has been positive. Some people have made their own with PVC.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dooder23 View Post
Wow..ok..really don't have room or money for long arm right now..trying to find something a lil smaller and under $400 if I can..thanks
Oh I didn't mean the longarm was an option - machine quilting in sections is what I meant. Marti Michell has a book called Machine Quilting in Sections that has excellent how-to instructions and helps you decide which method would work best for a specific quilt.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:36 AM

I bought the Flynn quilting frame but have not had any luck with it. It's still in the box! (Maybe I didn't try hard enough?)
My biggest problem was my machine didn't have a large enough throat - guess I should have thought ahead?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 AM

The Flynn frame did not work for me. I found that "puddling" and working from the center out worked best for me. Baste or pin well (I did a combo of spray basting and pinning). I have quilted up to king size using this method using my Janome 6500.