Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Frames >

Quilting Frames

Quilting Frames

Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Dear all,

I need some advice regarding the various quilting frames which exists on the market. I am quilting on a Bernina QE 440 and would like to use it with a frame.
I have come across the following modells , but I am a bit confused which is the best to buy.

Litlle Gracie II
Mini Pinni
Pinnacle
APQS Longarm
Gammill

if someone has experience with those frames I would be grateful for every useful advice. Also, oif you know other good alternatives please let me know.

Many thanks for your help!

Kind Regards,

Giny Maas from Luxembourg/Europe
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM

I also have this Bernina and have wondered about the Little Gracie II frame. I will be very interested in what you hear
Old 09-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Me too. That's what I have. I'm sure hoping someone has some answers. :)
Old 09-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

well, I have the little gracie ii which I've only been using this month and I'm very happy with it....
I'm sure there are more elaborate frames out there but this one suits the purpose, is easy to use, etc etc
and for the price I paid as a 'package' with the Bailey, it was very reasonable.

they sell a fourth rail for batting for $70 - I found a heavy-duty drapery rod on the markdown at wallyworld for $15

It comes with enough 'tubing' (you'll see what I mean if you get the frame) for a crib size quilt - I got more in the fish department at wallyworld for something like $2.40 - enough for queen size

I had to send in my warranty card in order to get my clamps/bungee cords - they still aren't here - so I got some clamps for $1.09 each at Harbor Freight and - you guessed it - some bungee cords at wallyworld - total cost about $8 - they sell extra clamps for something ridiculous like $35 on the website

they don't really mention how to fasten down the pantographs in the booklet - we got some 50 cent rulers again at wallyworld, some tablecloth clear plastic, hubby drilled holes in the rulers to line up with the holes already in the 'bed' of the frame and we fastened the top of the plastic down - now to use a pantograph I just slide the paper under the plastic

we are definitely keeping the wooden frame carriage - I got a clamp on lamp - yep wallyworld and stuck it on top of the carriage frame... lots cheaper than the $23 light on the website

I also fixed the machine foot control (did not use the Rube Goldberg arrangement that Grace has) on the back of the carriage with velcro and use 'thumb' power to run the machine for pantograms (the Bailey comes with one set of handles/on-off etc that I keep on the front)

We put a spiral light bulb in the lamp - stays cool....
here's a picture showing the foot pedal, lamp...

foot pedal bottom left, light top right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2179[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2179.jpe  
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Thank you thank you thank you. I will definitely check this out.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Janeen, Bailey will send you a pig tail so you can move your speed control to the back of the machine . Easily done and so much easier than that foot control . Bailey will help you with anything you need. Just ask!!

I have used the heavy duty table cloth vinyl and that alone holds down my pantographs. I don't understand why you want them fastened down. I use a roll of fax paper to copy my designs and it stays put under the vinyl.

I hope you are enjoying your new Bailey.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 AM

i have the GMQ (Grace Master Quilter) and I researched quite a few frames. I can't tell you how it works since it is still in the boxes :oops: :oops: , but I practiced at the sewing store and it was awesome. A bit more expensive than the Gracie II but i got it as a package deal with the Janome 1600P so it was a good deal. I don't think you can go wrong with a Grace frame! Have fun researching and purchasing!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

June - there is a pigtail on the other end - I just don't want to keep moving the handle back and forth

where do you have the foot pedal? it 'hasta be somewhere' - might as well be on the back :lol: and I really like being able to control the speed by using it while doing pantos....

I have a 'speed dial' and on/off switch on the handles, plus a button that runs the machine at full speed the whole time you hold it down...

believe it or not, I like running the machine slower - more control for me...