Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting for fundraisers... question >

quilting for fundraisers... question

quilting for fundraisers... question

Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM

I've made three quilts for fundraisers and I have a questions for you ladies that do this.

I've quilted three quilts for raffles to raise money for mission trips that my dh and daughters have gone on.

Now our church is trying to build our own building and one of the fundraising ideas is for me to make quilt/S/ for more raffle fundraisers. Here is the quesiton...

Can I ask for people to contribute to the expense of the materials? Should I? Would you? Or should I assume that the people asking me, expect me to donate the time and materials as part of 'my share' of the fundraising effort?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM

If this is a fundraiser for the church and you have been asked to help out making quilts to raise funds, I think it would be fine to ask for donations of fabric or money to buy fabrics to make these quilts. It can be quite expensive to make quilts, many people do not realize this. I'm sure that there are folks that would love to contribute to the fund raising in this manner. Go ahead and ask!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Not that I am an expert but people don't realize how much it costs to make a quilt. I think you should expect them to make some sort of contribution as in the cost of materials. You are still donating your time which is plenty valuable!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM

If funds are tight for you, you might ask the lady memebers of the church for a donation of fabrics-say each to pitch in a FQ-pick a pattern that requires all FQ's and let them know what color scheme you want (or make it easy and go scrappy)-some will be glad to go buy one (you have to specify all cotton), but some that can't be bothered will be willing to throw in the $2.oo or so for you to pick up one. There are a gazillion patterns for FQ's so you won't have any trouble picking one. Your contribution is all your time and willingness to do it!!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM

By all means, ask for donations of money, fabric, batting and/or thread. There may be people who want to help, but think they have nothing to contribute.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it is unrealistic to ask for help with the fabric and other supplies. :D:D:D
Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM

I make a quilt every year for a fundraiser for an organization I am in. Everyone digs in their pockets to pay for the fabric. Then what we make selling chances is all profit for us. I think that is only right especially as you have been asked to do this.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Your donation is your time. If this is going to be an ongoing thing, your time is what makes the monetary donation (to buy fabric) grow into more funds to grow the church.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM

I have done many fundraisers for charities over the years and always get everything from raffle ticket printing, posters, raffle prizes, advertising, decorations, venue, and even wine (for dinner fundraisers) donated. I just tell people who provide those services or sell those items that is a way they can contrubute to the charity fundraiser and just expect them to do it. The more you can get donated, the more money the fundraiser nets. In this case, fabric, thread, and batting should be donated by the members of the church-and if any memeber has family/friends who have a quilt shop (or fabric shop), maybe they can get some of it donated as well. Even in these tough times, most people will be willing to donate a small bit, and those small bits add up quickly! Like I said before, give them a choice of pitching in a few dollars (the cost of a cup of coffee!!) or having the fun of buying a bit of fabric. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Anybody else among your church group friends who can also help you with cutting, etc? You could even ask for donations of cotton fabric yardage. Let's face it, most of us waste a few dollars every month when shopping. And don't stick your nose up at WalMart if there is one near you with a fabric dept. Get some friends together to go shopping for the fabric.